Thursday, May 1, 2008

If April Showers Bring Mayflowers what do Mayflowers' bring?

More posts! Ha ha, I'm funny. Well, April was a little disappointing in the post department because i didn't do as many as in March, so I'll try to get more out this month. Well, my gf is away on vacation so while she's gone I've decided to watch some movies that I've enjoyed but haven't watched in a while and write a review of them. The first movie that I watched was Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior. I LOVE martial arts movies. I've watched countless numbers of them and I also own a lot of them. The three biggest names in Martial Arts are Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan & Jet Li, even though you can't leave Chuck Norris far behind. Well, my favorite up and coming star is Tony Jaa. And you know what, I think he's better than any of them besides maybe Bruce Lee. See, the difference between Jackie & Jet from Tony is the fact that he does not use any ropes and he does all of his own stunts. Jackie used to do all of his stunts, but he's gotten older and the physical demand is too much. Well, Tony is young and he can handle all of it. Honestly, he's done stuff I've never seen before. Here is a pretty cool trailer for the movie(which came out in 2003) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf42Nr5u6Ig. Now, the problem with all Martial Arts movies is that their plots are pretty simple and this one is too. But, the action in the movie is incredible. See most people who have watched Martial Arts movies are used to seeing either Kung Fu or Karate. Tony Jaa does Muay Thai, which is a different form in which the fighters use their elbows and knees a lot, so the action in this movie is a bit different than what most people are used to. The plot of the movie is this: Tony Jaa is from a small village in Thailand and a bad guy from Thailand has come to buy a buddha figurine from one of the villagers who decides not to sell it. To get back at the village, the bad guy(Don) cuts the head off of the local Budhist God, Ong-Bak. Well, everyone in the village believes that if they don't get the head back that the village will not prosper as they are in the middle of a drought and the water in the well is low. So, they send Tony to go get the head back. So, the adventure begins and throughout the movie Tony is able to show off his fighting and gymnastic skills. There are some very cool fighting scenes in an underground fight club. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to see some really sweet fights.

I have just one last comment on the NFl draft but I didn't need a separate post for it. I was really surprised that the packers drafted Brian Brohm in the second round. I'm not sure who I feel sorry for, Brian Brohm or Aaron Rodgers? Aaron Rodgers has been waiting for years to be the starter for the Packers, especially since it took Favre forever to retire. Now, when he finally gets the starting job the Pack go out and draft a qb in the second round? What's with that? Now, for Brohm he's going to a place that already drafted the qb of the future like 4 years ago. If he had been smart enough and had gone into the draft last year, he could have gone #1. Or at least the Falcons would have drafted him. Just think about it, last years draft would have been a lot different because you would have had 3 qb's going for the #1 pick and who's to say that the Raiders don't take Brohm #1? He had a better year statistically than either Quinn or Russell and he showed great stuff. With that saying, lets say that Russell still goes #1, I don't think that the Browns trade up to take Quinn in the first round and just wait for him to fall to them in the second round. And if he gets taken, I think that Brohm would have been there for them in the second round. See, Dallas had the #2 pick, which the Browns traded for. If they don't make that trade and Brohm and Quinn are still available, I just don't see Cleveland trading up. The only team that might take a qb is maybe Baltimore, but i don't think they would take a qb in the first round. If not them, then maybe Kansas City because I don't think they are totally sold on Brody Croyle. So, I can really only see one of the two qb's going in the late first round. So, instead of doing that, Brohm stayed in college and had the worst senior year someone could ask for and instead of being a top 3 pick, he falls to the second round and could probably be a career backup. It's tough to say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ong Bak was great. I caught it on HBO on a rainy Saturday afternoon a few years back. I was so bored, nothing else was on. Once I got into it, I couldn't turn it off.

Roger Kuhrt said...

One thing that I would love to see is someone like Tony Jaa or Jackie Chan or Jet Li fight one of the MMA guys. I would just like to know if these guys are as tough as they look on film. Wouldn't that be cool?