Sunday, May 11, 2008

Book Review #1

So, I thought about watching another movie on the list and giving my review of it for this post, but instead I did something else. See, on the way back from Cincy on Wednesday I stopped by an outlet center to see what was there. I went through a couple clothes stores and I didn't really find anything that I liked and then I ventured into the Barnes & Noble outlet store to see if they had a book I was looking for. Well, they didn't, ha ha, but what I did find was a book by Jeff Pearlman called "The Bad Guys Won!". Now, for those of you who don't remember, Pearlman is the guy from SI who wrote that John Rocker piece. Now that the glass has shattered and you remember who Pearlman is I'll talk about the book. When Pearlman was growing up, he was a Mets fan. His parents weren't big into baseball so if he wanted to know anything about the Mets he'd have to go to a friends house and this is when he became a Mets fan. The subject of the book is about the '86 Mets and how great of a team they were, but how big a jerk most of them were, too! And I must say that I really enjoyed the book and to get an inside look at what happened with this team. All of the wild partying, all of the late nights, all of the pranks, all of the bad times and the good times. It was just really interesting to read because we always suspect that sports players acted like it and it was fun to read it from their mouths. The '86 Mets were just a roudy bunch of guys who knew they were going to win and knew they were going to win big. You also get a look at how the '86 Mets were built. From the trades that brought the players in, to the players that were drafted, to the GM who built this whole team. It's just an all around great book to read on how to build a great team and how that team self destructed. Even though the Mets did win the '86 World Series, that team really should have one two or 3 more. They really should have. So, if you're looking for a good sports book to read, and a really quick read at that, you should look this book up. I'm actually kinda sad I finished it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that book doesn't sound bad but I just don't like to read. Let me know when the movie comes out, haha.

I think you need to post more lists like you did for your least favorite teams. It gets a lot of feedback from your many readers. My suggestions for some future lists are:
- all-time favorite movies
- best NES games
- favorite tv shows
- cars you'd like to own/drive

That should get you started.

Unknown said...

I agree with Malone. Lists are the way to go. That and more stories about you picking up hobos or other funny life experiences that you have had.