Monday, May 19, 2008

SEGA

Just a few notes before I start on my favorite SEGA games. 1st, sorry Mikey & Perrotti about your Yanks. I thought that they had their double a team playing against the Mets. I did enjoy Jose Reyes' celebration after the 3 run homer last night. But, I'm pretty sure the Yanks were this bad in like 2005 and came back and won the division. Of course they got swept in the first round, but that's another issue. I'm also glad that Oliver Perez pitched well. It's about time because he's had a bunch of poor outings. The Mets are still without a no hitter. Will anybody be able to throw one for us? Will Doc Gooden please have a kid become a pitcher w/o the drug problems and then have the Mets draft him? Is that too much to ask? Right now I'm reading through Paul Shirley's book "Can I Keep My Jersey?". It's about a 4 year period in his life where he played for 11 teams in 5 different countries. For those of you who have no idea who he is, he's a basketball player. He got famous for the NBA asking him to write a blog and instead of just writing stupid stuff about basketball, he wrote stupid stuff about life, which included checking out hot chicks during a timeout. Very funny stuff. You should go down to your library and read it. Now, time for my favorite SEGA games:
Now, in the Kuhrt household, my parents did not believe in video games. Nothing that would be connected to the tv. They had no problem with computer games, but no tv ones. Well, finally around my freshman year of high school they broke down and let us have our cousin's NES up at our cabin. Well, about a year after that I took it home and traded it for a SEGA, which I kept up at the cabin and would play in my room whenever we were up there. Was it fair? No. Did I really care? Not really. Ha ha. So, here is my list of my favorite SEGA games and why.

#1. NHL '94 - No sports game will ever beat this in enjoyability. NONE! My friends and I would play this all the time. Not only was it great, but it also gave us not one, but TWO great movie quotes. The first one from swingers with Vince Vaugh's, "It's not so much me, as Roenich. He's good." And then in Mallrats with Jason Lee's "But I have a game against Hartford. The Whale!". Not sure if those are exact quotes but they're close enough! My breaks not long enough for me to check on it. (I also like the "lets make superfanboy 99 bleed.") Yes, in the '93 version you had a bad form of fighting that was taken out in '94 but in '94 you could knock a player out and make his head bleed! Can you go wrong with that? I also enjoyed how before each game it would tell you what players were hot and which ones were cold. I was always mad whenever Curtis Joseph was cold for the Blues! I swear, the Blues were always stacked but if he was cold we were done!

#2. World Series Baseball - Ahhhhh yes, I love baseball games. They were always soooo much fun. The controls were very basic but there was no stopping the fun. Too bad the Mets weren't very good around this time. I believe in the '99 version was the first to have the Home Run Derby. I always liked taking a pitcher and trying to hit home runs with them. Never really happened but I still tried!

#3. NBA Jam: Tournament Addition - Does everyone remember when Shaq had a music career? Still today whenever I see someone dunk I think back to his one song where he said something along the lines of "You can't fake the funk on a nasty dunk." Not sure why, but I do. Anywho, with this game, there was no faking of the funk. Because all of the dunks were just plain nasty! Oh yeah, I went there. I liked this version better than the original because you got more players to play with. It was also fun when you were on fire because you could make a shot from anywhere. Plus, there were no rules in this game. There were no fouls so you could push whoever you wanted whenever you wanted. I always liked taking the Kings because Mitch Richmond was my favorite player and I'd just sit back and let him hit 3 pointers all game long. What a great game. In fact, I still have a SEGA and this game. Maybe I'll set it back up! Probably not.

#4. X-Men - You know a comic book fighting game had to make it onto this list. I enjoyed both X-men games, but I liked the first one better. It was cool in the 2 person mode when someone would be Morph and then if you stood next to each other you could teleport to another area. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself happened. It was just always fun to be Wolverine and go around and rip people to shreds. I actually like the Arcade game better than any of the other video games, but this game is #2 all time for X-men games. You just can't beat it.

#5. Mortal Combat - This actually goes for any of the games in this series. I liked all of them. It was fun being able to kill each other and all of the cool fighting tricks you could do. Each game had different combatants. And at the end, everyone remembers the "Finish Him/Her". Ahhh, what a great way to get out some pent up anger.

Honorable Mentions: NBA Live(just missed the cut), Coach K College Basketball, Joe Montana Football. Come on, could I really have this list be all sports games? Strangely enough, I hated Madden at this point. Oh well. Let's just say that would change.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list.

Re: Oliver Perez... The thing that gets me, is that this guy is such a head case. He whines and complains when things don't go his way, and doesn't have the stomach to pitch out of trouble... Unless it's against the Yankees. I don't get it. The guy has no sack, unless he's pitching against the 26 time world champs, in their building. Check out his career #'s against the Yankees, then check out his #'s against everyone else. He owns the Yankees. Everyone else seems to own him. It's so frustrating to watch because perez is so unlikeable. It's not just because he's a Met. I happen to like Johan, Pedro, John Maine, Billy Wagner, etc. He just rubs me the wrong way, and the fact that he seems to become some sort of ace when he faces my team makes it worse...

Unknown said...

Hey everyone I just wanted to inform you that John Lester has thrown a no hitter for the Red Sox

(Who are in first place, unlike the Yankees who are in last place)

Thanks,
Rob

Anonymous said...

Well, after what he's gone through, my hat's off to him.

Unknown said...

I have to disagree with your top 2 there Roger. NHL 94 was a solid game, but it cannot be the most enjoyable sports game ever. I do understand it has some emotional attachment for you though, so that's understandable. That's why World Cup 98 was on my top 20 list of games. Perrotti and I played that game so many times I can't even count that high.

I agree that Oliver Perez is a head case. He either is lights out or way out of control. It's nice he steps up against good teams like the Yankees though. He is still not a worthy keeper in a fantasy league though, so Roger get some better pitchers.

Unknown said...

NHL 94 was a great game. The Whalers were terrible in it however. The Blackhawks were unstoppable. Larmer was sick. That being said World Cup 98 is the best sports game. The Golden Goal is the best invention of the 21st century.