Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The big 5-0

So, I guess I'll go with Jim's suggestion and I'll post a couple top 5 favorites. This one I've talked about to people a few times before and I'm glad that Jim suggested it, he he. It's going to be my top 5 favorite NES games and why.

#1. Techmo Super Bowl - Ahhhhhh, techmo super bowl. This game was just awesome. The memories I have of this game is that whenever we had a snow day or if it snowed out during the weekends, my friends and I would go out and sled for a while, or we would go play football in the snow and then afterwards some of us would go over to my neighbor Ryan's house and we'd get a bunch of soda or hot chocolate and we'd go downstairs into his basement and we'd played Nintendo. And we'd always seem to play this game. What I loved about this game was it was the first time that you could actually switch out players, it would tell you if a player was hot or cold and you could change the plays that you called. Bo Jackson was absolutely sick in this game(there's a video out on youtube of Bo running from the 1 yard line to the other 1 yard line back to his 1 yard line back to the end zone for a TD that would take up the whole entire quarter). There were just so many good memories of this game. Ahhhhh, TSB!

#2. The Legend of Zelda - One question I have is why isn't there a Zelda movie? They've made a Super Mario Bros movie, a Double Dragon movie, a Doom movie, 3 Resident Evil movies, a DOA movie but no Zelda movie? What gives? It's one of the highest selling franchises and yet no motion picture? It's just crazy. I loved everything about this game from being able to get better weapons and shields to being able to buy potions to once you had full health to being able to shoot your sword at a bad guy. I loved being able to gamble and solving the riddles. I love that there were bushes you could burn to find secret areas. This game just rocked. Oh yeah, and the music was awesome. You just can't go wrong with this game.

#3. Contra - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Select, Start. Everyone knows this cheat code. Heck, I still remember it almost 15+ years since this game came out. This game ruled because all you did was go around and kill stuff. And you were able to get bigger and better guns and you could play along with another friend. It was the two of you against these alien animal monsters attacking Earth! What do you do? Kill Them All! Ahhhh, I just loved beating this game. It was sooo much fun. It was great being able to jump up and shoot your gun all around. There were many afternoons joyfully spent playing this game.

#4. Mike Tyson's Punch Out - No boxing game has ever compared to this game that came out when Mike Tyson was actually a good boxer. The characters were great. There would always be a secret way of beating each guy(unless it was Glass Joe. Him you just beat down). And, during one round each match you could keep on hitting the select button as many times as you could and it would raise your health. I must say though, that I was never able to beat Tyson. I wish I could have. There is a video out there of some guy who beat the entire game in like 9 minutes or something crazy like that. I'm not sure if it was real, but it was fun to watch. My favorite opponent was always King Hippo. It was just fun hitting him and his pants falling down. Ha ha.

#5. Super Mario Bros - Yeah, I'm ranking this just higher than the third one. The one thing #3 has on this one is the fact it was in an awesome Fred Savage movie. This game was just fun and everyone had it because Nintendo was smart enough to package it with the NES. Everyone knows how to warp themselves to the other levels and that they can easily make it to level 8 without losing a life. The other levels out there were pretty cool, too. And everyone knows the music from the game. Ahhhhh, what a classic. It was soo much fun being able to be Fire Mario and kill most of the bad guys.

Honorable Mentions: Super Mario Bros 3, Tennis, Top Gun, & Excite Bike.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great column and very good list.

It would be interesting to one day develop a list of Top 25 Videogames from ALL systems... and see how you feel about today's high-tech games vs. yesterday's nostalgic trailblazing games. I mostly prefer today's, but that's me.

A couple additions to your list:
- One great NES game was '1942'. It's also an arcade game, maybe you've played it, but you're basically in a plane in World War II and the screen scrolls and other planes and ships attack you.
- One of my favorites was Young Indiana Jones. This game was very advanced for NES in terms of overall speed, graphics, and options. Definitely play this if you get a chance.


Oh and I think Tetris, while it wasn't one of my favorites, was one of the most important games ever.

Also I think a reason why there hasn't been a Zelda movie is that the game is very Japanese and I don't know how well it would carry over to the movies. Also the namesake of the game, Zelda herself, has a very minor part. Link is the hero, and I think this would be confusing to people who aren't familiar with the game. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a Zelda movie eventually.

Unknown said...

This was a surprisingly good list by Roger. Possibly the best thing he has ever done in his life. However, there are a few other games that should be mentioned that have not been talked about.

Donkey Kong was a solid game.
Double Dragon clearly was money.
Paperboy made me want to become a paperboy.
Blades of Steel was great. You could pick a fight by running into each other.
RBI Baseball was good too. The A's were nasty. Later we found out that most of them were on roids.
Super Dodgeball was great too. It was very under rated. You literally killed people in that game.
Duck Hunt had it's moments as well. I hated that dog.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Actually Perrotti, Double Dragon 2 was better. I wrote the post kind of quick so I missed that one. Also, I really liked the turtles games. The first one was probably the best. I'll come out with my top five Sega games. I didn't play SNES so I can't really rank them. I also feel bad that I forgot about Blades of Steel. RBI baseball is very solid and should have been on the honorable mention list. I never played Super Dodgeball but we should have joined that dodgeball league in East Hartford! I'm still a little bummed about that.

Rob, that would be a good list, but I haven't played all of the systems so I don't know if I could. I'll probably put up something about what I feel about old versus new systems.

Unknown said...

Here's my top 5:
1. Mike Tyson's punchout
2. Super Mario Brothers 3
3. Excitebike
4. Ice Hockey - terrible graphics, but fun.
5. Duck Hunt - for the sole reason I could shoot stuff.

I wrote this list quickly, as I'm sure there's games I'm forgetting. Oh well. I haven't played all the ones you guys talked about. You're clearly all losers.

Anonymous said...

These are all great games. For me, I would have to include metroid, and wizards and warriors. 1942 was also a personal favorite. Bases Loaded was a great baseball game. We could go on and on. Perhaps a top 15 would be easier...

Unknown said...

OK, I was semi-bored today, so throughout the day I wrote down all the best video games I could think of. I came up with my top 20. Some I know only pertain to me, but I think in general it's a pretty good list. I also am biased on the systems I owned (never had SNES or any PlayStations). I'm sure I'm missing a couple good ones, but this is a pretty good list.

1. GTA Series (Vice City being favorite of series) - By far the best games for me; I can't stop playing them
2. Goldeneye - Best multi-player game ever created
3. World Cup 98 - Perrotti and Koho know why this is so high
4. Mike Tyson's Punchout - Simple, yet sophisticated
5. Rockband - I never played an instrument before this game, now I love the drums
6. Madden Series - Monopoly on football games, but a good reason why
7. Tiger Woods Series - Somehow makes golf fun
8. Mario Kart 64 - Another great multi-player game
9. Super Mario Brothers Series (3 being favorite of series)
10. Mortal Kombat Series - Best fighting game by far
11. NBA Jam - Only good basketball game ever made
12. Call of Duty 4 - Great graphics, fun to play
13. Quake - My favorite PC game to play
14. Street Fighter 2 - Another solid fighting game
15. Tetris - Always entertaining somehow
16. Sonic the Hedgehog Series - Great side-scroller
17. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 - Surprisingly addicting
18. Mario & Sonic At the Olympics - Best Wii game IMO
19. Halo Series - Great multi-player, but a little overhyped
20. 1080 Snowboarding - Not sure why, but I liked this game a lot