Monday, May 26, 2008

SNES

Well, as I sit here watching Ace Ventura on TBS(I love the deleted scenes) I got the first email from Rob for the SNES. Before I give you the list I thought I'd just write about some stuff. We got to watch the Indy 500 yesterday at work. Now, I normally don't really care about this stuff but I had finished reading my book at work so I was stuck watching it. I thought it was pretty cool when Danica Patrick was knocked out of the race and then started walking over to the driver who knocked her out. It was pretty funny and I have to give her some respect for not really caring about anything and wanting to give the other driver a piece of her mind. I liked that. Lets hope the Mets can break out of the funk that their in. It's nice that we have the Marlins at home now so hopefully we can game some games on them. A nice sweep would be good. I saw the Indiana Jones movie. Most of the movie was really good. It was just like any other Indiana Jones movie. The action was good and there were a bunch of funny moments in the movie. I really liked Shai Lebluef's character in the movie and of course they set it up for him to take over. Now, with all of the Indiana movies the endings are always kinda strange. Raiders of the Lost Ark they had the Ark melt everyone away, Temple of Doom they had the whole riping out of the hearts and the Last Crusades they had the one Knight Templar there. Well, this one was probably the weirdest of them all. I won't say what happened at the end, but it was pretty strange. I liked it though. I would give the movie a B. Anywho here is the list for SNES:
1. Super Mario WorldThis is likely the first snes game most people played, and I think itholds up as the best. At the beginning of the SNESs life Miyamoto tookthe iconic genre of the previous console generation, the 2Dplatformer, and perfected it. With great depth and flawless controlsthis game is excellent all around and can essentially be picked up andplayed at anytime, or beaten in an afternoon (or a half hour if youknow the shortcuts).

2. Legend of Zelda Once again Miyamoto took a classic from the previous generation andperfected it. A Link to the Past was one of the earliest console gamesthat felt truly epic. The world feels smaller now that you have themap memorized and know where all the secrets are, but the first timeyou played Zelda you felt there was always some secret ability or toolhidden just on the next screen over. Also controls, sound, graphics,all excellent for the time and still more than passable today.

3. Chrono Trigger One of the few non nintendo offerings to make full use of the supernintendo's potential, Chrono Trigger is my pick for the best japanesestyle rpg on the system. It had cool characters and an uniquequasi-realtime battle system with fairly deep combo possibilities.This third slot could just as easily go to Final Fantasy 6 for all ofits unique characters or Super Mario RPG for its unique style andtiming based subgames.

4. Mariokart Mariokart set the standard for the kart racing game, later to beblatantly copied by Diddy Kong Racing and a Crash Bandicoot kart game.There's still nothing like timing the perfect turtle shell to sealyour victory, or leaping across a ghost level jump with a feather.Also, the earliest car battle mode I can remember, the basis for latergames like twisted metal.

5. Donkey Kong Country 2 I think this is the best of the donkey kong games, Dixie added a newgameplay element that seperated it from other side scrollers at thetime. Also the game introduced a wide variety of gameplay elementsthroughout its many levels that kept things fresh. Finally thegraphics were untouched on the super nintendo and were cleaner than any game that followed it until possibly the release of the ps2.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I never owned an SNES, and have only played a few games on it so I can't really argue against any of those picks. But whoever typed it out needs some help. The spacebar is a key feature on the keyboard. Youshouldcheckitout.

And I'm sorry to say but Willie needs to go. I like him a lot, and he has potential to be a good coach, but as long as he's managing, I don't think we have a chance to reach our potential ("we" being the Mets, as I am a key player on the team).

Unknown said...

Actually Mike who typed out the SNES list (he is not a normal reader of this blog - I'm trying to change that) told me that he typed the entire list on his cell phone, believe it or not... so that would explain any typographical errors

Roger Kuhrt said...

Actually, it could be my fault about the spacebar. When I copied and pasted this onto the post it bunched some of it together. The only games I remember for SNES were super punch out and the star wars games.