Wednesday, April 30, 2008

NFL Draft - Part Duex

So, this will probably be my last post about the draft. I think next year what I might try to do is a running commentary on the draft. Or maybe I'll save that for the year Jimmy Clausen comes out of college. I thought I'd just go over the Giants draft. I liked the first pick of Kenny Philips. Gibril Wilson is gone and Philips will fill in nicely. I really liked Wilson, but I thought after he got injured that he wasn't as good as he was in his rookie year. But, here's one thought. I was kinda hoping that the Giants would have traded their first round pick for one of two players, either Jason Taylor or Chad Johnson. I'm not sure what our cap room is like but if we could have picked up either player that would have been sweet. With Taylor we'd could put out a defensive line of Osi, Tuck, Strahan, & Taylor? Or, if Strahan retires then maybe we could run out Mathias Kiwanuka? No one could stop that line. They're too fast for any o-line to contend with. Or, if we had gotten Ocho-Cinco we'd have a wide receiver corp of Plax, Johnson, Steve Smith & Amani Toomer with David Tyree as the #5 wr. How sick would that be? But, I don't know our cap room and if we could afford to do that, but still. You know how I like to look at how my teams could be. In the second round we took Terrell Thomas, a CB from USC. You know he's gotta be good if he started at USC, ha ha. The only other player I would have liked us to take at this pick would be if Trevor Laws had been available, but the stupid Eagles took him. I've been watching Laws for 4 years and he's awesome. He was by far the best player on the ND team and he never quit, even during the worst of times. He's just a guy that doesn't stop. I think he'll do well in Philly, but he would have been a great fit with the Gmen. Our third round pick was Mario Manningham. This is one of those picks that will either be a great steal or not pan out. It won't be a huge bust if he doesn't do anything but I like our WR's now because Amani is getting ready to retire and I think M&M will be a great replacement. He knows how to score, as I unfortunately watched him do time and time again against the Irish. I like what our WR's will look like next season with Plax, Steve Smith, Amani & Manningham. We'll also have either Shockey or Boss out there also. That's a really great group right there. I just wonder what we're going to do with Sinoris Moss? I think we might have given up on him because he's always injured and hasn't been that effective when he's been out there. We took 2 line backers with the next two picks. Both should be good additions because at times our linebackers were a little thin. We'll miss Kavika Mitchell next season but Bryan Kehl should be able to replace him. He's really athletic, which was what Mitchell was basically. We just kept on sending him in on blitzes last season. The other pick Jonathan Goff is a tackling machine, which will be really really nice. Our next pick was a really really interesting one in which we could Andre Woodson. I think he'll be a career backup QB, like Matt Cassell. We had been struggling with our backups the past season and now we signed David Carr as the backup, but it's only for a season. We also have 2 other QB's, Anthony Wright and Jared Lorenzen so someone's got to go. Woodson broke most of Lorenzen's passing records at Kentucky so it should be interesting to see who stays. The last pick of the draft was Robert Henderson, who's a DE. The knock on him is that he's slow, so we'll see if he stays or not. We'll see what happens. My last note on the draft is that I thought it was bad for the Dolphins to take Jake Long. I think Glenn Dorsey is by far the best player in the draft. Jake Long is reported to have said that he thinks that he shouldn't be the first pick. Way to have confidence in yourself. Could be a forshadow on the Dolphins season. My prediction for next year's #1 is it should be Tim Tebow if he comes out early. If the Falcons end up with the first pick they should take him. He's just nasty.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Roger, I know almost nothing about college football or the NFL Draft - but isn't Tim Tebow too chunky, not a good enough arm, and more of a bruiser than an NFL caliber QB? Also didn't the Falcons just take their new franchise QB?

Roger Kuhrt said...

See, he's not really known for his arm, but he actually has a really good arm. He's not chunky whatsoever as he ran for around a 1000 yards & 20 td's last season. He's like 6-8 and he can make all of the throws that you need to make in the NFL. He's the only guy to throw 30 td's and run for 20 td's in a season. You're telling me he can't make it in the NFL? I think not. Yeah, the Falcons took Matt Ryan, but when is the last time there was a good qb from BC? I'm not sold on Matt Ryan yet. The Dolphins have taken two qb's early the past two years so if they really struggle this season and it doesn't look like Ryan can make it, I think they should take him. I think maybe the best place for him might be Chicago. There are no good qb's there and I think he could go in and compete for the job. I think more qb's will be more like Tebow in the future, someone who's really mobil but can make all of the throws.