Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Next

Well, we couldn't really get a definitive answer on the defensive position. How about this for toughest defensive position, the old hockey goalies. You know, back when they barely wore pads and didn't wear masks. You had pucks flying at your face and there was nothing to protect it. Even when they wore the Jason hockey masks those things weren't as good as protecting as the new masks. I remember hearing Brett Hull talk about his dad and he said that if a goalie was on fire to shoot a shot at his head and he'll think twice about making a save on you. I think the old school hockey goalies were nuts.

Well, it was nice that the Mets took 2 of 3 from the Marlins. Now we've go to play the Dodgers. We need to take at least 2 of 3 from them. Mike and Perrotti, sorry about Mr. Ian Kennedy, Kennedy going on the DL but at least Joba the Hutt can now go into the starting rotation. We'll see how that goes. Pedro had a nice first rehab start and hopefully he can go with that when he gets back! We'll see.

So, I was at the gym today and I was listening to a cd that I hadn't listened to in a while. It was a band that I first started listening to in college. Sooooo, of course that gets me thinking so I decided to list my 10 favorite cd's from my college era. In no particular order:

1. Jimmy Eat World - Static Prevails: Ahhhhh, Jimmy Eat World. I didn't know too much about them until my sophmore year. I love this album because it was pretty punky and I was all about the punk music back then(well, not like that's really changed) and pretty emo at the same time(that hasn't changed either). Not sure which song is my favorite off of this album. Maybe Rockstar or Claire.

2. Jimmy Eat World - Clarity: This is probably the album that started to put Jimmy Eat World on the map. I love Lucky Denver Mint. This album got me into music that had an electronic influence to it. This album is probably over produced, but I love it none the less.

3. The Juliana Theory - Understand This is a Dream: This was one of the albums that started me down my emo ways, ha ha. Mike, I think Kate would love that comment. Just an all around great album. One of my favorite songs of all time is on this album(The Closest Thing).

4. The Juliana Theory - Emotion is Dead: This was the album that I was listening to in the gym. This album started to get me interested in hardcore music(yes, it's not a hardcore album but there was some screaming on a few songs and I liked it.) Too bad I hate the rest of their albums. They just all pretty much suck. Oh well, wasted talent. I put these four albums first because they remind me of the end of my sophmore year when my sister graduated and my roommate and I were listening to these cd's all the time. I was living on the fourth floor of Witmer and a lot of us had the same taste in music. Just an all around great year. Ha ha.

5. The Get Up Kids - 4 Minute Mile: This was really my first introduction into emo music. By far my favorite GUK's album even though their second album is almost as good. Mike, do you remember when we went and saw the Get Up Kids and At The Drive-In? At least I think you were there. I think it was like Kyle, Greg, Justin Witmer, Me, You, Laura, Dave and Jeff Glaussup. But I could be wrong. It was freshman year after all(sadly that was 10 years ago. Jeez we're old).

6. Paul Van Dyk - Out There and Back: Yeah, I didn't really know too much about Techno growing up. I had bought one techno cd(Daft Punk's first cd) but didn't really know what to call it. Then, sophmore year I lived across the hall from two DJ's and they introduced me to this german DJ. His name, Paul Van Dyk. And this was the CD that I started to listen too. He's been putting out amazing music since(and actually way before) and he's been voted the best DJ in the World.

7. Last Tuesday - Dear Jessica: For all of the readers from CT I'll let you know something about my buddy Mike, he used to play drums for this a couple bands in college. The first band I remember is Caligo(at least I think it was. Was it Mike? Also, any chance of you having any of those cd's left?) Well, unfortunately they decided to disband during my sophmore year so, as a free agent, Mike decided to sign a 2 year contract with a punk band at school that would go through the end of school(and that summer, I believe). That band, Last Tuesday. This was my favorite cd by them(one of 3 cd's and the only one with Mike in it). Sadly, I lost my first press of the cd that had the bonus track on it. Bummer.

8. Less Than Jake - Borders and Boundaries: During my freshman year LTJ released Hello Rockview, which was a very solid album but kinda too popish for my taste. It was a different kind of album for LTJ. Then, in 2000 they came out with B&B, which just rocked from the first track to the last track. LTJ will probably be my favorite band of all time. They just keep on coming out with amazing albums. Plus, they ended up adding the sax player from my favorite local band, Spring Heeled Jack.

9. Rancid - Rancid(2000): Well, just before I went to college Rancid released Life Won't Wait, which still had some really kickin' punk songs but also had a bunch of more melo songs on it and kinda threw me off. I wasn't that big of a fan of it and was kinda disappointed by it. Well, in 2000 Ranicd released a second self titled album that went back to their roots and just frackin' rocked! It was just one great punk song after another. My favorite song is Dead Bodies.

10. Dashboard Confessional - The Swiss Army Romance & The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most: Yeah, so there's two cd's. Sue me. I ran out of room and I like them both the same. I remember seeing DC when it was just Chris Carraba by himself, on a stool, with just an accoustic guitar. It was probably the best show that I've ever been too. It was at an abandoned church at the University of Maryland. DC was the first band that played. Now, there's no way he'll ever be the first band playing. It's just pretty cool to know that you saw someone right before they took off. These two albums are just two amazing emo albums. I could always understand where he was coming from(you know, since he did grow up in a nice suburban town in Ct) and I think this made it easy to enjoy his music.

Well, thanks for this trip down memory lane. I hope you enjoyed it. Ha ha.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can proudly say I didn't own a single one of those CD's. Although I've really only owned like 3 legitimate CD's in my life.

The Mets needed that win bad. But they've been doing this all year. Winning a couple and looking like they're on the right track, and bam... 5 game losing streak. We'll see I guess.

And you're right that old school hockey goalies had it way tougher and were much manlier men than the goalies today. But I still stand by my original statement (see the messages to your previous post).

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that New Found Glory didn't make that list... Maybe Jeremy made you sick of it. Ahh the glory days of Caligo and LT. I still have lots of Caligo and LT CD's. I only have 2 or 3 of the first pressing of DJ, and a few of the second. I'm pretty sure DJ is on itunes. We also did a split with that band the Curbsquirrels, which I have like 20 copies of. When LT was atit's peak after I left, those splits became highly sought after. I sold a bunch on ebay and made a killing. One of them went for $45.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Hey, one thing I forgot to point out is that I did more posts than last month! Hooray!!

Malone, you only download songs or you would have me download them from easynews when I was working at TN. Now that I think about it, I had like 40 gigs worth of music on my computer at work. Ha ha, what other company could you pull that off? I hope they whiped out my computer after I left. I should have asked if I could take that with me. Oh well. Malone, you should look up those cd's. You might actually like some of the music.

Mike, I could have made a list of the top 20 cd's and I would still have left stuff out. Just off the top of my head I could have had New Found Glory - Anything Gold Can Stay, Self Titled & Soundtrack CD's, Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American, like 3 Face to Face cd's(the live one being my favorite), MXPX's Life In General(I didn't get into them until college), Blink 182's The Enema Strikes Back, The Clash Live on Broadway, Crutch's Admist Despair Hope Prevails(had to throw in another Messiah College Band) just to name a few.