Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Next One

Well, if Perrotti wants me to talk about the Hills, Real World and Deal or No Deal, he's got it. Sadly I've watched a couple episodes of the Hills. It seems like a really stupid show. Actually, a worse show than that one is the spin off show about another area of Southern California and I can't remember the name of it. I just remember watching an episode where the girl was in college now, her bf is in high school, she started hanging out with some guy and then dumped said bf for new guy. It was great. I thought I lost 10% of my iq in 30 minutes! This season of Real World is actually pretty interesting b/c there's a guy who really doesn't care what people think of him. It's actually pretty funny to see everyone get pissed off at him. Also, there was one guy who's the craziest guy I've ever seen and now he's in rehad with Dr. Drew. Very fun. I don't really watch deal or no deal anymore but when I do I always root against the person because once the bank offer gets up to over $200,000 you take the money. We know you're just going to blow it.

Now, here is my list of my favorite PS2 games so I hope this makes everyone happy. Especially Malone b/c I want him to finally accept my frackin' trade! So, here we go:
#1. NCAA College Football - There isn't one year that stands out more than any other but I love this game more than I really should. What I love the most about this game is the offseason stuff that you do. I love the recruiting process and strangely enough it has helped me understand "real" college football more. Plus, the game play is amazing. I also like the fact that you can change your schedule each season and that at the end of the season you can get an offer to join another conference. Of course I play as Notre Dame and we don't need a conference!(actually I always get invited to the MAC or some weak conference like that. I never got invited to the Big Ten or ACC or Big East. What, they got no love for the ND?) It was also fun to win as many trophies as possible. You know, they always give you that option to create yourself and then play through college but I always hated it b/c you couldn't do the Franchise stuff like recruit and after the 4 years you're done. Why can't they combine it so that after the 4 years they automatically move forward like 15 years and then I'll become a coach or something? Is that too hard to ask?

#2. Madden Football - Once again, it's pretty tough to choose a certain year to be the best. I think maybe 2004 when Vick was unstoppable and it didn't seem like you could lose a game with him. I always do the same thing with Madden each year. I play the Franchise mode with the fantasy draft and I always end up like $40 mil under the salary cap. The first year that I bought Madden I didn't understand the salary cap hits and at the end of the first season I was suppose to cut like $50 mil off my salary. Let's just say that some teams(like the Raiders and Redskins) wish they could hit the reset button(or erase button) and start over like I did!

#3. Tekken Tag - I never played a Tekken game before this one. And actually, I hadn't played a fighting game since Mortal Kombat. But, I got this game right after I got my ps2 and we had soooo much fun in college playing this game. What was great about this was that I had the adapter to the ps3 where you could have 8 guys play. Well, with Tekken Tag you could play 4 guys. It was a lot of fun. What I like about Tekken is that they base their fighters off of real people(or some of them are based off of them). There's the Jackie Chan fighter, the Jet Li fighter, the Bruce Lee fighter. It was just great learning how to fight with them. My two favorites were the Jackie Chan and Let Li characters. Probably Jackie Chan #1 overall and I loved being able to get into the different stances. Just an amazing game all around. Plus, there was Tekken Bowling!

#4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - I liked this one the best out of these games because it was just sooo much fun to go around and kill people. Plus, Ray Liota(yeah, I can't spell, sue me) was the voice of the main character. I think my favorite part was getting the Samarai sword and chopping people's heads off. This game was just all around fun and I loved it.

#5. SSX Tricky - This was by far my favorite snowboarding game and I think the best of all time. And, the whole family could enjoy it even though the older folks didn't do as well. It was just a lot of fun and the tricks were pretty cool. Unfortunately my little sister got better at me in it and that sucked. ha ha. Oh well.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to disagree with every game on this list except for #4. There are always good sports/fighting games on every system. None of them are unique or revolutionary. Madden and NCAA Football are basically the same game.

What games set the PS2 apart from Gamecube and Xbox? I would include Mercenaries, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Guitar Hero titles on my list of PS2 games.

Roger Kuhrt said...

I wasn't making a list about games that are revolutionary and moved gaming to the next level. It's just the games that I liked the most. If I was going to go with that then I'd have to say that Guitar Hero would be #1 because of the uniqueness of the game. There are always improvements with the sports games like Madden and College football that can make one year be better than the next. But overall I just enjoy those games and that's why they're ranked #1 & 2. Rob, you seemed to know a lot about video games, would you like to send me your list of the systems that I didn't cover?

Unknown said...

Sure Roger, what do you need? N64, Xbox.. anything else? Me and my roommate can work on it.

And I get what you mean about someone's favorite games vs. someone's opinion of what the 'best' game is. If I were to make a console specific list, it would only include games that were exclusive/came out first on that console, and it would be a 'best of' list, not a favorites list. For example Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion would be eligible for my XBox 360 list but not my PS3 list since it was an XBox 360 launch title but came out a year and a half later on PS3.

Of course the Madden videogames are some of the most replayable games ever. I also played NCAA football but never got as into it as you.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Well, the only platform that I'm going to cover next is the PS3. I was thinking of doing one for the computer but I've really only played like 4 games and two of them were with my old cga computer so I don't think that really counts. After that I'm going to do my top 20 video games over all platforms(which I will actually have Dark Forces in there!). So, if you could get me a list of your top 5 games for SNES, N64, XBOX, & XBOX 360 so I can post them. That would be pretty cool.

Unknown said...

Okay will do Roger. I'm going to collaborate with my roommate Ricky and my friend (who now works at TN) Mike... combined, we know too much about videogames.

We've already put together our rough lists, now we'll add some summaries. I'll send you a Word document once it's complete - it will probably be pretty long.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Awesome! One thing you'll know about me(especially when it comes to the NFL Draft) there's no such thing as too long!