Monday, August 25, 2008

The Olympics

Okay Rob, here you go. I actually enjoyed the olympics this year, which is surprising because I don't usually care to much about them. I watched swimming, diving, volleyball(both outdoor and indoor) soccer, and basketball. I was disappointed in our men's soccer & baseball teams. I can't believe we didn't even get past the opening round for soccer. I thought we had a pretty decent young team(considering we won the bronze medal in the U-20 world cup) but we sucked. Oh well. Did we win the bronze medal in baseball? I can't remember. But we didn't win the gold and that sucks. I got to watch a bunch of the men's basketball games because at work we had the tv's on the basketball channel that just played the b-ball games. I was glad we won the gold medal but I think the Dream Team would rip the Redeam team. I really liked watching the men's and women's outdoor volleyball teams, the ones that won the gold medals. The matches were usually really entertaining, plus the chick with the dark hair is cute. But, she's married to a Marlin, so that's bad, ha ha. What I liked about the diving is when NBC would show the camera angle where the camera follows the diver into the pool. That was pretty sweet. And of course, just like almost everyone else I liked watching Michael Phelps. Even if he is from Michigan. Overall, I thought the Olympics went really well and was pretty fun to watch. I'm waiting for skateboarding to be an olympic sport so brazil can win a couple more gold medals. One thing that was crazy was the fact that China won 51 gold medals! Also, nothing will be better than Tiki Barber getting slammed for being a horrible announcer and calling his partner a not so nice word during a live broadcast. I think his career as an anchor will be over really soon.

Also, I'm really psyched for college football to start up. I'll have my college football preview coming up in a little bit. It'll be fun, ha ha.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, the baseball team won the bronze. That's really not bad considering the team they had there. I think LaPorta was the only guy I knew.

I thought the diving was terrible to watch. It was on all the time and it was boring as hell. Also, China won every diving event.

I think the best part of the Olympics is the track and field events, but alas they were on real late at night and I often heard the results before NBC actually showed the race.

Unknown said...

Yeah I will echo J's comments. Also, it seemed like boxing was on way, way too much. I would have liked to see more soccer games as everything else was pretty uninteresting, but I guess part of the Olympic experience is watching obscure sports you never see anywhere else.

I can't believe that you can win an Olympic gold medal for riding a BMX bike for 35 seconds, especially since 7 other people are riding at the same time on the same course. This isn't the X-Games, folks.

Too many Olympic events have stupid scoring rules like fencing, gymnastics, boxing, etc.

USA is the best

Unknown said...

I think swimming was the best this year, obviously because the U.S. dominated most of it. Some of those races were pretty damn exciting even though I don't give a crap about swimming.

Diving is very overrated. Way too much of it on primetime. Really, anything that is judged is not a sport to me. There should always be a clear winner and a clear loser. Nothing should be left open to interpretation. But try telling that to those gymnastics fairies.

The track events this year were pretty sweet, especially with Bolt breaking those records. The field events sucked though. NBC barely showed any of them since the US didn't win any field events besides the decathalon and maybe shotput or discus.

I think I watched about 10 minutes of basketball, but it seems stupid watching it outside of the NBA. Same with baseball. If it doesn't include all of the best people in the world at the sport, why should it be an Olympic sport? Supposedly the Olympics are meant to showcase "amatuer" talent, but that's a bunch of garbage nowadays. Show me the best in the world, and maybe I'll watch.

Why isn't the Worlds Strongest Man competition part of the Olympics? I would defintely watch that.