Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the 13th

Here's a little trivia for you guys today. Do you know why people believe that Friday the 13th is a cursed day? It's because back in the 1400's the King of France decided to round up and torture all of the people in the Knights Templar. That's because he felt threatened by the group and he also owed them a lot of money. What better way to get rid of this debt than to get the Pope to agree to rounding up the Templars. Now, it is believed that that Knights Templars that did escape went to Scottland and ended up forming the Free Masons. See, you learn something new every day!

Well, the Mets still suck. I don't know what's going on with Billy Wagner. He's blown 3 straight saves giving up 7 earned runs in 3 innings. Thanks Billy. I agree with Malone on what's wrong with these Mets. Something needs to be done and something needs to be done fast.

Well, last night, because I can't play any games I decided to watch a movie on the dvd player(thankfully I've got one of those still) and I ended up watching Live Free or Die Hard. Now, the theatrical version is okay but the big problem with the movie is that, well, it's pg-13. I'm sorry, but if you want to make a good Die Hard movie, you need to make it R. So, luckily I have the "unrated" version of Die Hard, which basically means that they added the swears into the movie. And believe me, it makes the movie a whole lot better! Anywho, the reason that I'm bringing this up is because I think I've underrated the whole Die Hard series. I've watched them all since Christmas and you know what, I don't think there's a single bad movie in the 4. Actually, I really really like all of the movies. I used to think that the first two were the best and the third one was bad, but I watche the third one again and I actually really like it. I'm not really sure which one I like the best, it's really hard to tell. But it'd probably be either the first one or the second one. Not to take anything away from the last two, I think I would rate all of them really close together, I just think the first two are the best.

Now, I also wanted to give another list. This morning as I was dressing I saw my old Punisher t-shirt(yeah, I really don't like getting rid of old t-shirts, he he). So I started thinking of the Marvel movies so I decided to give my list of my favorite Marvel movies.

#1. The Punisher - Now, this will probably surprise a lot of people, but the Punisher has always been one of my favorite characters. It's just cool that he goes around with all of these weapons and that he's not mutant. He's just a normal guy who's, you know, crazy. Well, I thought this movie captured that pretty well. The storyline is pretty good. It's an origin movie where you discover that Frank Castle became the Punisher because his family was murdered by the mob. What I love about this movie is that it's rated R and they didn't hold back in the fighting. Also, there were a lot of cool deaths in the movie. My favorite being where the Punisher jabs a knife upwards from the bottom of a guy's mouth so that his mouth is open and you can see the blade. I just hope they come out with a second one, but I doubt they will.

#2. Spiderman 2 - The only thing that holds this movie back from being #1 is the fact that Doc Oct wasn't really a bad guy. I actually felt sorry for the guy because of what happened to him to make him Doc Oct. This is complete bs. It is. I don't want to feel empathy towards the bad guy, I want to hate him. When he dies I want to feel happy for the good guy who beat him, not sad because the bad guy gave his life to save the city. But, besides that, this was the best Spiderman movie. The story line was great. The actions scenes were awesome. Plus, the soundtrack is good. I can watch this movie over and over.

#3. Iron Man - This movie surprised me. It surprised me alot. I didn't really think that I'd like this movie and that the story would be dumb. But, it wasn't. This movie was everything that you could ask for in a comic book movie. I'd probably rank this #2, but I've only seen it once. I need to see it again to make sure I liked it as much as I think I do. Robert Downey, Jr. did a great job and I really can't wait for the sequels. Plus, the bonus scene with Samuel L. Jackson was really sweet!

#4. X-Men 2 - This was the best X-Men movie by far! The first one was okay, but it was rated PG and Wolverine didn't really get to use his blades much. The third one was okay, but the ending really sucked. This was by far the most complete. It was great to see the love triangle of Wolverine-Jean Gray-Cyclops. My only complaint about the X-Men movies is that they made Rogue young. I grew up watching the X-Men cartoon on tv and she wasn't young. She was the same age as the rest of them. Also, there's no Gambit(but they're taking care of that in the Wolverine movie :-D). But, the story for this was great. And the fighting was really good. The fight between Wolverine and the asian chick(I know her name starts with Lady Death..... I just can't remember the rest) was pretty sweet. I thought they did a great job with showing the struggle between Humans and Mutants.

#5. Spiderman - I really liked the origin story for this. I can relate to Peter Parker because I'm a huge dork and I would wonder what it would be like if all of a sudden I got these powers. Yes, it's sad, but true. I mean, how sweet would it be to wake up and all of a sudden you're ripped and you can walk up walls and you have this string that shoots out of your arms so you can almost fly! That's what I like about this movie because I could sooo easily put myself into the story. I think that's what makes a movie good. Plus, the battle between the Green Goblin and Spidy was sweet.

5 comments:

Roger Kuhrt said...

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/382367/punisher-war-zone/videos/punisher2_trailer_061008.html

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. Only bad thing is is that it's a different guy playing the punisher.

Unknown said...

The Mets need to fire Willie. They should also trade for Griffey and Fuentes from the Rockies. Problem solved.

I think the Punisher was a very underrated movie.

The new actor playing the Punisher is the guy from Rome. He was pretty bad ass in that.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Willie is done. He can't motivate the Mets the way Ozzie Guillen or Jim Leyland have motivated their teams. Sometimes yelling is all that needs to be done. They're just a bunch of pansies this year who are just playing to get paid. Hopefully that changes very soon.

I actually would be happy with Griffey at this point, as he's been staying healthier than Alou. Fuentes is just dumb Perrotti.

Yeah the Punisher was definitely a good movie, one of my favorite comic book movies, so I'm not surprised it's at the top of your list. I think I like some of the Batman movies better than a lot of the Marvel movies, but that's another list.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Yeah, I need to watch the Dark Knight and the Hulk movie before I make that list. Maybe the next one will be the 5 worst comic books movies. That would be a very very interesting list.

Unknown said...

Hey Roger - me, Malone, and Perotti were hanging out last night when we realized that if something terrible happened and we all died, that your blog would be virtually readerless! We're all working hard to get more readers.

We also played a sweet game of skins mini-golf. Malone won 4.50 from each of us (.50 per hole) because he won the entire front 9 on one lucky hole in one. The back 9 turned into dead money because no one won any of the holes. I did have 2 hole in ones, but each time they matched me so I didn't win any skins.