Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The best things about being a kid

So, to make Rob happy I'm going to write a column that doesn't talk about my favorite baseball team. Plus, I'll probably pull out the rest of my hair if I do, he he. For some reason a couple days ago I started thinking about what it was like being a kid and how great it was. I started to laugh thinking about it so I decided that maybe I should make a post about it. So, here it is. My favorite things about being a kid:

#1. No responsibilities - Your clothes are dirty and you need clean ones, no problem, your parents will do it. You're hungry and want something to eat. No problem, someone else does it for you. It's the summer and its nice out, do you have to worry about going to work? Not at all. You wake up when you want, get dressed, eat, go outside and play all day long. Jeez, now that's the life. Out of food? Yo Ma, we're out of food, go get us some(okay, I never said that at all, but you get the point). In fact, you don't have to worry about remembering to set up a dentist, doctor, or eye appointment. You just have to worry about going to them. You have your parents to do that for you. Soooo not fair.

#2. Don't have to go to work - By far the worst thing about being an adult. Life was soooo easy when you're young. You don't have to get up and go to work to make money to support yourself. Uggghhhhh.

#3. You're not into chicks - Life was sooo nice when you didn't have to worry about impressing some chick or trying to go up and talk to them when they were around their friends. In fact, you didn't even like girls because they had koodies. Lots and lots of Koodies. You didn't care how you dressed, how you smelled, what you listened to, who you were friends with. You weren't out there trying to get some chick to like you. You just wanted to have fun. That's it.

#4. No school during the summer - I miss this. I really do. That's why teacher's have it made. Right now my mom's up at our cabin, relaxing and sitting out in the sun. Sooo unfair. But kids, they got it made, too. No need to worry about lesson plans for next year, or making sure you wake up in time for work, or about the morning traffic(stupid slow drivers in the left lane. Get over will you???), or your boss coming over and yelling at you for doing a bad job. I wish I could just take a 2 month vacation. That would be sweet.

#5. You can watch cartoons and not have people think you're weird - What? What's wrong with the fact that I still like cartoons? So, maybe my sense of humor hasn't changed since the fart jokes that I would hear in the second grade. Is that sooo bad? Hmmm... okay, maybe it is, but it's just cause I'm jealous of kids 'cause they have it soooooo easy(and yes, I may have peter pan envy).

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Roger i have to disagree with #4, teachers do not have it made. They have a tough job to educate the young and do not get paid well for all their efforts. You think it's easy to teach these punks nowadays? They are jerks and do not respect authority. They also have their parents call and complain anytime their kid get a bad grade or in trouble. They believe the kid over the teacher. This is undermining to the teacher and makes his or her job more difficult. It's also a falsehood that teachers leave at 3:30 every day. Teachers put a lot of time into prep and helping students after school. They are lucky to get home for 5:30.

That being said, you are dead on for this list. Kids have it made. You really want punch the kids that want to grow up quickly and act like adults. Do they have any idea what it's like?

Unknown said...

Roger your trade with PErotti is pretty ridiculous. Are there any draft picks involved? If not, it's certain veto material due to the sheer difference in quality between the two players.

I knew you needed closer help, but you certainly could have gotten better than Gregg for Ordonez - it would have been nice if it were from me, but also from other owners too I'm sure. I don't think you did your homework and explored your options with this one. But, since it is so unbalanced, it will get vetoed, so you will have a chance to see how much better than Gregg you can do.

Anonymous said...

Good list. I agree that teachers have it tough, but they only have it tough 180 days of the year. That leaves 185 days off. 186 in a leap year. I have stress at my job too. I get 3 weeks off a year. That means I work 245 days. If I could do it over, I might get a teaching degree. After 5 years in a high pressure corporate job, I'd take the stress of teaching, and the pay cut, for the extra 65-66 days off. What other job has off for spring break, easter break, christmas break, Jewish Holidays, MLK day, presidents day, etc.. and after all that, summer vacation! I'm sorry, but regardless of all the BS that goes along with it, teaching is a sweet gig.

Roger - I'm pretty sure it's cooties... Not koodies.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I actually lived with a teacher for a while so I was being sarcastic about most of that stuff. I think overall that if you are working and someone else is working that you shouldn't try to put down their job just to make yours seem so much more important.

That being said, the trade shouldn't be vetoed because I know Roger perused multiple trades with Ordonez and didn't have any luck. I am taking some risk getting Ordonez too because he has a sore back. Also, it should be noted that closers are pretty tough to come by in that league. There are none on the FA wire. Also, Gregg has been solid this year and is stable in his job. Moreover, Roger had a lot of OF so it made sense for him to make this deal and get a closer. I can't believe this is such a big deal.

Unknown said...

Perrotti, shut it. You know the trade is unfair. Ordonez, a possible keeper, for a lower tier closer with 13 saves so far on the year? I don't care how little luck he had trading Magglio earlier, he shouldn't have made that trade without getting at least draft picks out of you. Roger is an idiot for that, and I hope he finishes in last for the rest of his life now. Add that to your list of unfair trades. My 1 unfair trade isn't close to all the ones you've had. I gotta work on finding the sucker better in the league I guess.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Malone, didn't you trade Liriano for Utley? You're telling me that that trade wasn't worse than this trade? There wasn't anyone else that I could get for Magglio. He's not going to put up the numbers that he did last year. I think he batted like .380 last year. I'm not going to keep him and I don't think there's another team out there that would keep him. If everyone hates the trade then veto it and then maybe we'll add draft picks onto it, so we'll see. It's not the most unfair trade ever so stop complaining.

Unknown said...

You shut it. Utley for Liranio is far worse than this trade. A top 5 player for someone who is pitching in AAA? Come on are you that scared of my team?

Unknown said...

I'm allowed my opinion, and Utley for Liriano AND Halladay was very lopsided on my part, but that has nothing to do with this trade. Perrotti suckered yet another team into a bad trade and I just feel it needs to be pointed out each time. Hey, the more he can do it, the more power to him. I'm way more afraid of Bagley's team this year though. He's been in first all season and no one is close. I would have preffered if Roger got someone from him to weaken his team.

Roger, you don't think you could have gotten draft picks out of Perrotti? Or traded him for someone like Sherrill or Cordero who has more than 13 saves? Just think things through next time and you won't end up having to keep Oliver Perez and John Maine every year. Vetoing the trade won't teach you so that's not gonna happen.

Unknown said...

Haha... strike that last comment. I just looked and apparently the league has vetoed the trade. Classic.

Unknown said...

Yeah Roger and Perotti, I guess the 'silent majority' has spoken, your trade was retarded.

Roger, if you'd like a better closer than whoever perotti offered you and perhaps some draft picks to make a fair deal, please refer to my team.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I guess I missed the part of this post that was about fantasy baseball... Sometimes, it's what you DON'T say that gets people going. I guess I'll catch up with you guys next post.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Yes, well the trade's been vetoed so whatever. You guys made it out to be a worse trade than it was. You guys know Perrotti doesn't like to trade draft picks but maybe we'll have to do get a trade done. I tried to get a closer from Bagley, but he declined the trade. For any closer that's around his ranking I either just traded a closer to him, tried to trade for another player and he doesn't respond and then after a while rejects them, or they only have like 3 closers. Now that the trade has been vetoed I will work on another one, he he. Plus, Malone at least this year I'll have decent pitchers to keep. I'm going to keep Hamel and then choose between Shaun Marcum(depends on his injury) and Javier Vasquez(if he can pitch better in the second half). so there.

Unknown said...

Yeah well I think you're better off having that trade vetoed. Sometimes you just gotta stick with the players you have. It's not worth making a lopsided trade just to get rid of an extra outfielder (unless you're getting the good side of it). I'd continue to shop him around.

Your keepers are a little better this year. I wish we could keep like 10 guys because I really like my team for the long haul. Oh well. There will be some good free agents in the draft this year.