Monday, June 30, 2008

The end of my first year

It's nice to see that Koho has finally found out about the "internets" and has decided to join the discussion on my blog. Unfortunately the average iq just went down about 20 points. Thanks Koho, thanks. Just so Koho knows, so he can avoid me when I get back to Ct, I'll be back for Malone's bachelor party in September and also for the wedding in October. That'll be about it. I don't think I'll be back for the rest of the year.

But anyways, one year ago ladies, I moved out of Ct and to the lovely city of Columbus, Ohio. I travelled up through NY and then down past Cleveland and into Columbus finally. And since then I've had two jobs and lived in two places(well three if you count the gf's place). I went to 4 Blue Jacket games, 0 osu football or basketball games, 1 osu hockey games, 2 reds games, saw Pedro's first game back last year and Joey Votto hit 3 home runs. Lets just say it's been an interesting year. Now, Rob came up with a good idea, to rate Ct versus Oh so here it goes. Now, I'm only going to limit this to Columbus because I haven't really seen the rest of Ohio besides the Great American Ballpark and some outlet center. Not too extensive. If I was going to rate the whole state of Ohio versus Ct they'd probably be about the same. But, Columbus blows away the horrible state of Ct. Now, as everyone knows I have a biased opinion of Ct. I've lived there most of my life and I really wanted to get out. Honestly, I was willing to move to NJ. NJ people!! That's saying a lot. There are some things that I will miss about CT and that's just basically my family and friends, which is also the one drawback with Columbus, seeing as I'm 9 hours away from everyone, but that in no way makes up for the bad things about CT. I think the worst thing about CT is the fact that the place is boring. There's really not that much to do and not that many places to go. If you want to go anywhere you have to drive at least 20 minutes to get there. The biggest city in Ct is Hartford, and well, it's not much of a city. There aren't that many bars there and the bars suck because all it is is a high school reunion. I'm sorry, but I really don't want to hang out with people from high school that I didn't hang out with before. There are no major sports teams in the state, unless you count the Uconn women's b-ball team. Yeah, that's about it. There are some minor league teams, but who cares? I don't. If you want to see a real team you have to drive either 90 minutes to Boston or 2 hours to NYC. Honestly, Ct should just be split into two and have the southern half be apart of NY and the northern half be apart of mass. Just a thought. Now, with Columbus there's just soooooo much to do. And, they're all around you. If I want to I can walk to a two sports bars, 5 regular bars, a 3 chinese restaurants, 1 inidan, 1 mexican, 3 pizza shops, 1 wings place, a movie theater, 2 ice cream shops, a grocery store, wal-mart, cvs, 4 gas stations, 3 barber shops, I can stay on my street for a city feel or I can walk one block down and be in the suburbs, there's a park and a softball field also. And that's just walking to the places right by you. If I felt like it I could drive 5 minutes and triple everything. You really can't get that in Ct. And the city, it's not like NYC or Boston where the streets feel all grosse and when you get back to your apartment you feel like you need to take a 20 minute shower to clean yourself. It has a sort of old city feeling to it. but don't get me wrong, you can drive to downtown Columbus and get that NYC feeling(not soo much dirty more like the skyscrapers all around you, no grass, no trees, just buildings and pavement all around you). That's what I really like about Columbus, you can run into any type of atmosphere around you. If you want a college atmosphere you can live by OSU. If you want the city atmosphere you can live downtown, if you a suburban atmosphere you can live in Dublin(which is right on the edge of Columbus) and if you want the rural atmosphere with farms and cows and tractors and stuff like that you can drive 10 minutes outside Columbus. That's it. Sometimes its just sensory overload. There's just nothing in Ct that really compares to it. You would honestly just have to come and visit and if you guys ever want to, all you have to do is let me know. Also, it cheaper to live here. He he. And, if you feel you want to go to another city, cincinatti is just over an hour away and so is Cleveland. Pittsburg is about 2 and a half hours away. Chicago is 4. Not too bad.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have to agree... CT did smell really bad. But now that you're gone, it really has improved. On behalf of Governor Jody Rell, I'd like to thank you. Tell Maureen she'll be getting her check in the mail as soon as she's kept you out of CT for 3 full years.

Unknown said...

Oh Malone what a great post that was. It's that kind of content that will allow this blog to gain and retain readers.

Whenever I visit a city, like Boston or New York, I enjoy it. I definitely like to visit, but I'm not sure about living there. Also I don't see my life bringing me to a city, I'll probably always live in the suburbs somewhere.

Roger Kuhrt said...

That was the dumbest comment ever, Malone. I see you've been hanging out with Koho too much. Time to get away.

Rob, the thing about Columbus is, is that it's not really like NY or Boston. There are a couple places that remind me of those cities but overall it's not really like it. You can actually live in the suburbs and still be really close to the city, like 1 block away, ha ha. Now, if you guys ever come to visit I'll be able to show you what I mean.

KOHO said...

Roger, I have had the internet for a while now, I just don't read things that make me dumber after reading them, therefore I never read this garbled mess.

It all depends on where you live in CT. Just like any state it has it good locations and bad locations. I am sure there are spots in CT that are just like your place in Columbus. But please never come back, it really in nicer with you in Ohio.

KOHO said...

I realized that sounded a little harsh...I really do miss you Roger and can't wait to see you in September. Well kind of...

Unknown said...

Overall, I don't think Roger's sample size in Columbus is large enough. Also, you can admit you are miserable Roger. It's fine, if you admitted it maybe we would come and visit. I don't like Columbus' school system Roger, you might need to reevaluate this argument when little Rogers start running around. CT's GDP is pretty nice too.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Yeah, it's nice that koho took his mean pills and then posted. I must say that I did laugh at perrotti's comment, which is a first.