Friday, January 2, 2009

Playoff Weekend

Okay, sorry this is soooo late but whatever. It's time for the NFL playoffs and I love this year. I love it because A. the Patriots aren't in it and B. Neither are the Cowboys. You really couldn't ask for a better postseason. We have four games this weekend and here's what I think will happen.

Saturday:
Game 1: Atlanta Falcons vs. Arizona Cardinals - These two teams ended their season in opposite directions. The falcons were on fire at the end of the season doing pretty well to end the season and clinch a playoff spot after finishing at the bottom of the league last year. Would anyone have thought that the Falcons would have made the playoffs after last year? I don't think so. The Cardinals started the season off really strong and for most of the season I thought they were probably the team to beat. Then came the end of the season and it seemed that everyone found a way to beat them. I think they hit rock bottom with the Pats game. It was just ugly. As you can guess, I'm going with Atlanta to win this game. I think they've got more momentum going into this game and it'll help them in this game. The Cardinals look like they're done so I can see this game becoming a blowout if the Cardinals aren't too careful. Plus, it looks like they might not sell out this game, which is funny but sad at the same time. Final Score: Atlanta 31 Arizona 13

Game 2: Indianapolis Colts vs. San Diego Chargers - This is the best game on Saturday. The Colts started off slow but picked it up at the end of the season. Peyton won his third mvp trophy, especially because of what he did with all of the injuries on that team. They're dangerous and it'll be a good fight. The Chargers have really come on strong at the end of the season. They definitely have a chip on their shoulders after last year and I think it'll help them in this game. In fact, both of these teams really scare me and I don't know if I'd want the gmen to face either of these teams if they make it to the Super Bowl. Only time shall tell. Final Score: San Diego 38 Indy 35

Sunday:
Game 1: Baltimore Ravens vs. Miami Dolphins - Another good game. I don't know if it'll be high scoring or not but I must thank the Dolphins, or at least Brett Favre for getting the Pats out of the playoffs. Both teams are coming off of bad seasons last year to make it to the playoffs. The Ravens are still lead by their defense, but I don't know if that'll be enough. I was impressed by Flacco but he seemed to make too many rookie mistakes at the end of the season. This will help the Dolphins stack the line against them and make Flacco, or shall I say Falco make the plays. I was really surprised on how well the Dolphins played this year. 1 win last year to the division champs this year. Who would have thought it? You know what was one of the most surprising things to me about this year? It was the fact that Chad Pennington was second on the mvp race. That's right, Chad Pennington. I also love the wildcat formation they run. Falco on the road against a hungry team. Not a good sign. Dolphins 24 Ravens 10

Game 2: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Minnesota Vikings - Ummmm yeah, I don't think this game will be that close. The Eagles are on a roll. Has there ever been a season where a team is just about out of it, then goes on a roll, gets all the help they need, then blows their second to last game to be on the outside of the playoffs, only to get all the losses they need in the last week and win their game to make it? Has that ever happened? I don't think so. Definitely a weird ending. I don't think the Vikings are that good. The Gmen barely played their 1st string guys and had their 2nd and 3rd stringers in and lost by 1. Really, the Vikings don't stand a chance and I think the Eagles will win, BIG. Ealges 45 Vikings 3

Well Rob, I'm going to add some more thought on the playoffs this weekend so look for the updates. We can see how close I am to being right. After what's happened in College football I don't think any of the teams I pick will win. Ha ha.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's my full playoff picks with no explanations needed:

Falcons over Cardinals 42-24
Colts over Chargers 10-7
Baltimore over Miami 17-0
Philly over Vikings 21-20

I think all top seeds will win the second round with the exception of the Titans if they play the Colts.

Semi's:
Steelers over whoever 17-10
Giants over Carolina 35-24

Superbowl:
Steelers over Giants 21-17

Unknown said...

Cardinals over Falcons, 45-28
Colts over Chargers 24-17
Baltimore over Miami 16-7
Vikings over Eagles 20-17 (Overtime)

Unknown said...

Looks like we were all 2-2. I was the only one man enough to pick the full playoff results before it started. After wildcard weekend I am not changing my picks. You guys have a slight advantage now though, but let's see if it helps.

Roger, if the Mets got rid of Castillo and get Andruw Jones at a discount price would you be happy or upset? I'm starting to warm up to the idea. He was terrible the last couple seasons, but he still has some tremendous talent and has a lot of upside. He can't possibly get worse. They just better not give him much because he sure as hell doesn't deserve it.

P.S. My sister got engaged this past weekend to that Andrew kid. You're up next Roger.

Unknown said...

Wow, I forgot I picked the Vikings, I was cheering for the Eagles the entire game and was excited when they won because I thought that meant I was going to go 3-1 on my picks. I think I typed my picks wrong on that one, I meant to pick the Eagles, but whatever.