Friday, July 4, 2008

The 80's

Well, it's nice for the Mets offense to show up yesterday. I'm not too disappointed with the split even though we should have won 3 out of 4. Now the Mets have a huge test in going to Philly. It would really be nice to take at least two of three, especially since we don't have to face Cole Hamell. I think that'll work in our favor.

Anywho, I thought I'd list my five favorite 80's movies. They don't have to have the 80's feel to it, just filmed during the 80's. So, here it goes.

#1. Return of the Jedi - I think the Empire Strikes Back just misses being filmed in the 80's(I believe it was filmed in 79 otherwise it'd be #1). A great end to the original Star Wars trilogy. There were just sooo many great battles in the movie and one of the saddest scenes(Yoda's death) and this is just one of my favorite movies all time. Now, if Lucas had just been smart and had not created the other three movies.

#2. The Goonies - This definitely represents what an 80's movie is. I love the story with it and the acting was pretty good since most of the people were kids. There are lines in the movie that will be quoted for a long time and I like the music in it(plus the music video is amazing). Any time that it rains it makes me want to watch this movie.

#3. The Neverending Story - One of the great theme songs came from this movie. I've always wondered if there really is a book called the neverending story that the movie was made from. They did make two more movies that weren't that good. And then I noticed that they actually re-made the first two movies with some young kid. I don't know why. But, the movie is just great. I love the plot and it's really easy to get into the movie. Ahhhhhh, I miss the 80's sometimes.

#4. Back to the Future - The movie that helped bring skateboarding back into the limelight, this was just one of those movies that the nerd in me loves to watch. I used to like the second one better but over time I've liked this one more. I will always want a delorian because of this movie. I'm betting that hollywood will eventually re-make this movie. And it will suck, ha ha.

#5. The Terminator - I like this movie just slightly less than the second one, but it doesn't take away from it at all. A great story and great action. Arnold at his best when he barely speaks. I really can't wait for the new movie and I hope they bring back the tv show. On a side note, one of my favorite deleted scenes from the second movie is when Sarah Connor is still locked up and Kyle comes and sees her and tells her to hang on. I wish they had that in the original movie. Just a great scene.

Honorable Mentions - Back to the Future 2, Breakfast Club, Stand By Me, Young Guns, Youngblood

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well to be honest the only 2 movies that I've seen on your list are #'s 1 and 2. And I agree with both of those (and that Empire Strikes Back was better than Return of the Jedi).

Also, I'll be gone from July 7 - July 26th with the National Guard so I won't be able to post any comments unless I find some internet access. I'm pissed that I probably won't be able to watch the Home Run Derby or All Star Game or play any ladderball during that time.

Unknown said...

I don't know how you put The Never Ending Story so high. I'm pretty sure if you watched that now, you would hate it. What about Top Gun, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Caddyshack? I'm sure there are others I forgot.

I miss Rob already.

Unknown said...

Alright everyone, have a good 3 weeks. I'll be back on July 26th, before Malone's birthday.

I look forward to reading 3 weeks worth of great blog content and equally good comments when I return.

If anyone wants to improve my fantasy baseball teams while I'm gone, please do. If you call me I'll give you my password and stuff.

Anonymous said...

I see that you've given honorable mention to Back to the Future 2... I just can't get past the fatal flaw. Biff goes to 1955, gives his younger self the almanac, then returns to the same spot in the same unaltered future that he left??? Are you kidding me???

Roger Kuhrt said...

Hey, this isn't timecop where if you meet yourself you melt together. I still think it's a great movie, much better than the third one, which is pretty bad. I did forget to put the indiana jones movies in there, my bad. I also forgot the 'burbs, one of my all time favorite movies. But I'm human. And Perrotti, there's no problem with the Neverending Story. I still like the movie.

Unknown said...

Remember the 80's?