Thursday, March 6, 2008

TV & Baseball

So, today I decided to write about two things. TV & Baseball. Couldn't you tell? Like I had said yesterday, I finished season 2 of Battlestar Galactica on my sick day and I'm about to embark on season 3 and then season 4, when it starts again on tv. Here is a list of my favorite shows right now, rated Most to least favorite:
1. 24
2. How I Met Your Mother
3. Jericho
4. Battlestar Galactica
5. The Big Bang Theory

Honestly, if I was to give a numbers rating on how much I enjoyed these shows out of a possible 100 points, here's what they would get
1. 24 - 99
2. HIMYM - 97
3. Jericho - 96
4. Battlestar Galactica - 95
5. The Big Bang Theory - 94.5

See, they're all really close to each other and in the next year or so I could see these things change. With these tv shows I tend to get into them in one of two ways, either from the first episode or a few seasons in. With 24 and BSG I got into them a few seasons in. With the rest I've been watching them since the beginning and both are two completely different feelings. Getting into a show a few seasons in is kind of a safe way to get into a show, but can end up causing withdrawal. What has happened to me is I'll watch a show randomly, like the show and then continue to watch. What's nice with this approach is that I can go back and watch all of the seasons whenever I feel like it because I'll most likely have it on dvd. This is where the addiction happens. You get so used to just watching an episode or two or four whenever you feel like it that when you finally catch up, or the next season isn't out on dvd yet you don't know what to do. You're so used to watching it at will that you take it for granted. Then a day passes and you haven't watched an episode and you're okay. Then day two hits and you can feel the need to watch a new episode, but there aren't any. By day 4 you've become aggitated because the withdrawal has hit. You can't take it anymore and you need to yell at someone to make the next season come out NOW! And boy does it suck. One thing that has helped me a little bit is to talk with other fans of the show. But, if you need to watch the past season on dvd, make sure to tell them so they don't spoil anything!

Now, with the other shows on the list I've watched these from the beginning. This is a completely different feeling. Honestly, it feels like you started to date a girl who's way hotter than you. You just feel in your gut that someday she's going to realize that she's better off without you and leave you. So, you enjoy all the time with her and things are going well. Then you get a phone call and she says she needs to talk to you. You know in your heart that it's over and you nervously meet her to have "the talk". That's what it's like to love these shows. See, I know they're amazing and there are probably a bunch of people out there that agree, but for some reason or another it seems that not enough people do and that the show's going to get cancelled. So, when the tv execs announce their new line up for the next season you get nervous. You know they want to have "the talk" but you're not sure if it's going to be "Let's take it to the next level" or the "I just realized how Hot I am and you're not" talk. Oh please be the first one!

So anywho, I got off on another tangent, but at least it was about tv! Well, BSG was in the first scenario. I've heard about the show before, but I never followed it. I think I tried watching an episode but I didn't know what was going on(one problem when dealing with the first scenario). I remember being at a poker game with some friends and a friend left early to go watch the show. I didn't understand at that time, but I do now. Of course, the friend should have been smart enough to get a dvr. I talked to my older cousin last year about it. He said he really liked it so that sat in the back of my mind. Well, finally my roommate borrowed the first two seasons from one of his friends. I got back once from work and he was watching the pilot mini-series. I sat down and now I'm hooked. I'm starting to go through withdrawal, but luckily for me my roommate downloaded 2/3 of season 3 onto his computer and I can start watching them before it comes out on dvd and then season 4 starts at the end of March/Early April. I promise I'll go into more depth of this tv show and what I think about it tomorrow. I went on that tangent and I'm running out of time before lunch is up.

So, yesterday Jim and I had our co-owned fantasy baseball draft. It was a 12 team, head to head league. We were graced with the 9th pick in the draft. Not too bad, I think. Well, with our first pick we still had Prince Fielder, Utley, Santana, & Ryan Braun available. What I've come to realize in these random leagues with people I don't know is that anything can happen and it usually does. For instance, Matt Holliday was taken 3rd. Nothing against him, but do you really take him over David Wright, Jose Reyez or Miguel Cabrera? I didn't think so. So, with the first pick I took Santana. What I was hoping was that these people would be dumb and let Braun fall to me with my second pick. And it almost happened. He was taken right before me. At this point in the draft I realized three things. First off, I don't know any of these guys. Secondly most of these people probably will stop checking on their team one month into the season. Lastly, I really wanted to have a crazy team. So, with that in mind I took Peavy with my second pick. Then I got even more creative and I took Beckett with my 3rd pick. But, I finally got back to normal after that and here are the rest of the picks
4. Hafner
5. Pence
6. Hart
7. Harang
8. Hawpe
9. Kendrick
10. Beltre
11. Thome
12. Chad Cordero
13. Jason Izzy
14. Khalil Greene
15. Soto(catcher for cubs)
16. Harden
17. Jay Bruce
18. B.J. Ryan
19. Ankiel
20. Randy Johnson
21. Iwamura

I think the team is pretty interesting. What I like about these teams is that it really doesn't matter what happens because of the first two points. It lets me take players I normally would not take. I took some gambles (pitcher in the first 3 rounds, Jay Bruce, Ankiel, Ryan, Johnson) but I think our team can still complete and I know we'll at least win wins, era, whip, K's every week. Now we just have to work on the rest. Ha ha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, we have zero speed, which is a big problem. We don't have great average guys and our power numbers are weak. We need to setup a trade. It would be fun to hang on to all those pitchers and see how we end up, but I guarantee we won't win with that.

Roger Kuhrt said...

It'll be interesting. I kinda like the young guys that we have, but I wouldn't mind maybe trying to see if we could trade for Holliday? What do you think?