Thursday, November 6, 2008

Rrrriiiggghhhtttt

Okay so there are a couple things to touch upon since this will be my last post of the week. I must say I've gotten off to a better start than in any month so what are you odds I keep it up? I'm guessing zero, ha ha. First off I'd like to wish Mike(the old one not the new one, but it may apply to the new one but I'm not sure) a happy late b-day. Mike is now 29 just like me and I believe he will also be a father very soon. One quick story about Mike and I'll move on. This makes me laugh now but it didn't when it happened. Mike my was roommate my senior year of college. I believe Mike had an early class way before any of mine and I was convinced Mike wanted to make me pay because of this. So, his alarm would go off for him to wake up and of course Mike wouldn't do anything about it until I would move. It wouldn't take much of a move to get him to turn off the alarm, usually I would start to stretch my arm out to grab something to throw at him, but before I could get anything he would turn it off. It makes me laugh now, but not much then. He he.



Secondly I'm not surprised by the election. I thought that the election really came down to two things, Obama convincing everyone that McCain was another Bush and McCain trying to convince everyone that Obama has no experience. Well, as we found out Obama did a better job. But here's the thing, I don't remember McCain being a Bush lackey? Where did this come from? I always remembered McCain as the rogue Senator who wouldn't always vote Republican even though he is one. Am I wrong about this? Was there something I missed? Well, congrats to Obama. I think another problem that the Republicans had was the fact that they didn't really rally their voters. I was watching a tv piece on the campaigns and thats what the Republicans said. There were a lot of Republicans who just didn't go out to vote and that hurt McCain. Well, we'll see what happens with everything.



Malone, sorry but I can't make the tourny. I'd love to, but I can't. Maybe you should have a Columbus Invitational? Eh???? Not bad.



Also, I think it was Malone who asked what I thought about the free agents and who the Mets should go after. Here are my thoughts on it. First off the Mets need pitching. They need pitching in a bad way, both starting pitching and in the bullpen. Here are my ranks of who the Mets should go after for starting pitching:

#1. CC Sabathia - I really don't think the Mets will get him, infact I think he'll go back to the Brewers, but if the Mets could land him then we'd be sick. We have the Money to offer him and I'd have no problem offering him the same money we offered Johan but we'll see if we do.



#2. Oliver Perez - We need to re-sign him because there really aren't a lot of good starting pitchers out there. I'm hoping that we do re-sign him but I don't think we should pay him more than he made last year. Perez is definitely really inconsistent and too inconsistent to make more than last year. Will someone offer him more and will he take it? Who knows. But, you know how I like to think about this, if the Mets land CC & Perez this is the starting rotation, Santana, CC, Pelfrey, Perez, and Maine. How sick is that? It's a dream and will never come true but I'll still think about it.



#3. Ryan Dempster - Dempster had a huge season last year as a first year starter and he did a great job. I wouldn't give him a long term deal but something around 3 years would be good. I think he'd pitch well in NY after he pitched so well in Chicago.



#4. John Smoltz - Smoltz is probably one of the best big game pitchers out there. Smoltz pitched better in the post season than Glavine(Judas) or Maddox and it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Mets to bring him in for a season. I wouldn't sign him longer than 1 year because he's old and who knows if he'll be able to pitch the whole season or if he'll get injured once again?



Relief Pitchers

#1. F-Rod - He's by far the best closer out there and he's young. Wagner is out for the year so we need a closer. Whatever we did last year didn't work so it's time to sure up the pen. F-Rod's agent said that he's asking for Mariano type money($15 mil/season) but he would go somewhere if it didn't offer him that much but offered something "interesting", i.e. a lot of years. We'll see what happens.



#2. Brian Fuentes - If we can't get F-Rod the Mets better get Fuentes. He's the only other closer I'd like to see the Mets throw some money at. He's young, too which would be nice. I'd like to see the Mets offer a 3 or 4 year deal, preferably a 3 year one. Will he sign it? Probably not.

#3. Kerry Wood - Yes, yes, yes, he's an injury waiting to happen but he also had a great year last year as the Cubs closer. I think that'll be a perfect position for him and he mike be able to stay healthy. With Wood I wouldn't want to offer him more than a two year deal. He'll probably want more but if the Mets get him they better not offer him a 4 or 5 year deal. He'll probably stay in Chicago but it would be neat to have him at the end of the bullpen.

#4. Matt Herges - Not only do we need a closer but we also need some setup help. Herges has had a few good seasons and would be great in NY. He pitched pretty well in Colorado so that's saying something.

#5. Darren Oliver - Okay, yes he's like 50 years old in baseball years but he was key to the Mets run in 2006. He's pitched really well in Anaheim so why not get him back again? Would that be too bad? Once he was gone and Chad Bradford were gone the Mets pen went to pieces.

#6. David Weathers - Weathers is actually an ex-Met. I forgot that. He had two really good years and a bad half season before we shipped him out. He's been in Cincinatti the past 3 seasons and has pitched pretty well for in Cincy. It wouldn't be too bad to bring him back. Come one, if we can let Aaron Heilman have a spot in the bullpen we can sign Weathers.

Okay, it's getting late and I want to go to bed soon so I'll keep what the Mets should do with fielders til next week. The Browns lost like they typically do, blowing a lead. Brady Quinn played pretty well and I was happy with what he did. Hopefully the d can show up for a game and maybe they'll win more.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with the most part of your free agent picks Roger. I have no idea who Minaya will go after so we'll have to wait and see. I don't think Smoltz has anything left so I hope they don't go after him. And how could you forget David Weathers? I don't remember him being that great though, but our bullpen couldn't really get any worse than last season so bring him on, haha.

Unknown said...

What do you know, he's from the south:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/11/06/texas-c-buck-burnette-learns-why-racist-obama-facebook-updates-a/?icid=100214839x1212168252x1200781116

KOHO said...

Oh thats right, we can take an isolated incident and make a blanket statement about 25% of the county. Stupid me. Nobody has every said anything against the current president either.

I thought we are going to drop this, clearly you know you are wrong Malone.

Anonymous said...

hahahaaa. It's funny because it's true. And yes, Kate is big as a house and could pop any day now.

Unknown said...

And while we are at it, I would like to list all the free agents or available players I would like the Yankees to get.

1. CC Sabathia
2. Mark Texeira
3. Matt Holiday
4. Jake Peavy
5. K-Rod to set up for Mo

Unknown said...

What a waste of a list Perrotti. Anyone could name the top 5 free agents.

KOHO said...

Even I could do that Perrotti. Come on now.

Unknown said...

What a waste of a post really. What kind of blog only talks about the Mets? We all know if it's not about the Yankees or Red Sox, it's not relevant.

KOHO said...

The red sun burns at the beginning of time, as the river flows through eternity.

Unknown said...

How do you make a dead baby float?

|
|
V


|
|
V


|
|
V


|
|
V


Two scoops ice cream, one scoop dead baby.

Unknown said...

hey just wanted to let everyone know that national guard training is going well. You can rest soundly at night knowing I am protecting your freedom. Let's plan something fun for next weekend. I have the blue haired girl from the hallween partys phone number

KOHO said...

Rob, I will sleep better tonight knowing that you are protecting my freedom. I feel much better that you are protecting it rather than Malone or Perrotti. What a mess that would be.

Does that girl really have blue hair? That might worry me. I think they call it smurfitis. Maybe she has some nice short friends for Perrotti??? We all saw his impressive introduction to that other girl at the party.

Unknown said...

Rob you really are a tremendous person. You are defending our country and getting phone numbers from real girls. That's impressive. She does live in Boston though, that may cause some logistic problems.

Malone that joke wasn't really ever funny. After hearing it for the 100th time, it isn't funny.

Kohanski, I think you need to lay off the devil's lettuce.

Jak się masz? doesn't get the girls to say Dzień dobry.

Roger Kuhrt said...

technically Malone you need to add a beverage to make a float so your joke really doesn't work.

Unknown said...

Kohanski your fantasy football team has lost 4 games in a row, time to change your name