Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oh boy

So, I'm sitting here Wednesday night and I'm waiting on my laundry and also for some food to be delivered. There are a few things I want to touch upon so I'm not sure how to start. I guess the first thing is to say Rob, I can't read German. WTF? It reminds me of a story of a roommate that Mike and I had our senior year. Our roomie Jimmy told me that during college he had to write a 15 page paper for a class so the night that he was writing it he decided to smoke some weed. Well, he passed it in and a couple days later he got a message to see his professor. The professor asked him to re-write part of the paper. Jimmy asked why? Apparently he had written pages 9-13 in french, he he. Rob, were you high when you wrote that?

Well, I thought I'd go over the funny story from this past weekend. I drove to the other side of Pa to hang out with some friends from college in the Poconos. We watched scary movies all weekend long and it was a lot of fun. Maureen couldn't go because she had to work a 30 hour shift on Friday to Saturday. Not fun. Well, I had some PTO left over so I decided to leave 3 hours early from work. Of course it didn't work out this way. I ended up getting stuck on a call and having to leave 30 minutes later than when I wanted to. So, I was late to start the weekend. When I finally left Columbus it was raining. It rained throughout Ohio. I decided to stop off and get gas near the boarder of PA/OH because I was low on fuel. Just before I stopped off I noticed that the truck in front of me had three stickers on the back windows. The left window had "Millenium", the right window had "Falcon" and the middle one had a picture of R2D2. The licenses plate read JEDI KT. Couldn't go wrong with that! So, I followed the truck for a little bit but I had to get gas so I got off at an exit. After I filled up I started back towards my car, reached into my pocket for my keys but I didn't feel them. So, I searched my other pockets and I still couldn't find them. I looked in my car and I saw on the passanger seat my keys. Crap. I was hoping I didn't lock my car doors but I did. I had locked myself out of my car at the gas pump during rush hour with the gas station filling up. Dejected I went inside to let them know and see what could be done. I told the guy at the register I locked myself out and this is the conversation I had:
Me: "I locked myself out of my car"
Him: "Well, you can use the phone to call the locksmith"
Me: "OK"
Him: "Here's his card, look his name is John Carpenter, he he. You know, like the guy who directed Halloween"
Me: "Oh okay, where's the phone?"
Him: "We don't have one but you can use the cordless up at the register"

First off, how weird is it that I'm on my way to watch scary movies all weekend long, lock myself out of my car and the guy who's coming to get me out is named John Carpenter? How does that happen? Secondly, how clueless is the guy to tell me there's no phone to use but I can use the one at the register? What???? Well, anywho 15 minutes and $50 later I was back in my car on my way again. It was a fun weekend and I'm glad I came away with a good story, even if it did cost me $50.

Back to the free agents for the Mets. Well, we've covered pitching, which should be the main focus of the offseason. The infield is pretty solid and we don't really need to get any infielders. I would say maybe a catcher but there aren't any good free agent catchers out there. Now, in the outfield the only position that's really set is center field with Beltran. Who knows what'll happen with Church and if he can fully recover from PTSD. He was killing it until he got injured and when he came back he wasn't as good as before. Hopefully he can make a good comeback. We re-signed Fernando Tatis, I think to a two year deal. Not too bad because he played pretty well. I like the young guys we've got but I think they're still a year away from being ready. There isn't anyone I'd love to see the Mets get. I think you have to cross Manny off your list because he'll re-sign with the Dodgers. The outfielders are ok. I think I'd be happy if the Mets signed Bobby Abreau, he can hit for average, drive in runs, score runs, and he'll hit 15-20 home runs. He's not the home run hitter he used to be but he's still a good all around player. Plus, he knows what it's like to play in NY. I'm not sure how I would feel if the Mets sign Adam Dunn. He's weird because he can hit a ton of home runs plus he walks a lot, but his batting average is really low and he strikes out a lot. It's a really weird combo so it's hard to decide if he helps or hurts you. I really don't care too much for any of the other OF free agents. It could help if they signed Scott Podsednik to come off the bench, I think I'd be happy with that because he's super fast and would be a great boost off the bench. Other than that there aren't too many good players out there. Also on a side note for pitching, now that Hoffman won't re-sign with the Padres maybe the Mets could offer a one year deal for him to setup whoever's the closer. Not sure if he'd take it but it wouldn't be bad to have a guy like him in the pen.

Did you guys watch the end of the main event? I thought it was pretty exciting. I thought that Eastgate was going to win. He seemed to play the best out of the people left. I still can't get over the fact that the one Canadian player made it too the final table even though he's the worst player I've ever seen since Koho. And that's saying something. His playing reminded me of when a girl would win the NCAA pool by picking teams that "sounded nice". Figures.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah the main event wasn't bad. I'm glad that Canadian dude lost too. He was terrible. Eastgate appearred to get really good cards though so that helps. I was surprised at how calm he was when he won though. I don't know if he was in shock or was just trying to act cool.

I enjoyed your story about your trip Roger. You need to tell us more stories like that. And who locks their car at a gas station?

Yeah it will be interesting to see who the Mets go after this offseason. I don't think they'll pay for F-Rod, but there's probably a good chance we'll get Fuentes. I'm still not sold on him though, but we'll see I guess. It would be nice to get 2 solid starters though, maybe Sabathia and Lowe. I just hope we stop going after washed up players, like Bobby Abreu. Those are the types of players the Mets need to stay away from. Remember how Vaughn, Alou, Pedro, and Glavine turned out, just to name a few. Sure they started off strong for us, but the old guys never seem to hold up for the duration of their whole contract. Now we owe Wagner 10M next year as well.

I like the platoon of Daniel Murphy and Tatis in left. They should be pretty solid all year. Who knows what Church will do. I wouldn't mind someone like Ibanez or possibly Milton Bradley. They seem pretty consistent. Don't forget we have Fernando Martinez at AAA this year and he could be up in the majors mid-season easily. He'll be exciting to watch.

I hear Russel Martin might be up for grabs as well so it'd be great if the Mets could go after him. He'd be a solid 2 hitter between Reyes and Wright. All I know is that Reyes, Wright, and Beltran better not get traded.

Roger Kuhrt said...

I wouldn't have a problem with signing Abreu to a 1 year deal, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with anything higher than that. The yankees can re-sign him if he wants that.

Russel Martin would be really sweet to get. I didn't think he was a free agent now. Is he going to be next season?

Unknown said...

Hey Roger, back off okay? I can talk in whatever language I want on this blog, unless you're a racist of course. If people different than you aren't welcome here, then let all of us know that please.

KOHO said...

Eastgate probably got lucky just like Malone does all the time. ALL THE TIME!!

So I went to the movies to see Saw V on Sunday. While it was not bad, I really think they probably should have stopped before they got to 4 and 5 (granted I only saw the second one, but from what I have also heard from others). Good thing I was able to find a lady to go with me since none of you babies (except Malone) would ever go. She likes these types of movies so it was a good idea.

Unknown said...

Are you sandbagging us Koho? Who is this lady, and why are you keeping her to yourself? Are you hanging out with her this weekend and that's why you won't tell us if you can do anything? And this better not be your mom.

Roger, the Dodgers are supposedly looking to move Martin to 3rd base or trade him. They don't want him catching anymore. I don't know when his contract ends.

KOHO said...

No Malone, I can do stuff this weekend. Work has just been very crazy lately. Let me know what you guys are up too. Perrotti said he had a great idea, but I think that was a cover for us to supply our ideas, then he would steal them from us.

Unknown said...

Roger remind me, Kohanski, Malone, or Perotti to tell you and the other readers the "Scratch Lotto Tickets" story.