Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Oh yeahhhhhhhh

Okay Rob, I'll try and get longer blogs now. Also, if you do go down to La I hope you're safe. It didn't look like it was too bad, hopefully. Also, did anyone else laugh when they heard that the vpilf's 17 year old daughter is pregnant? You know, 50 years ago people would have been married at that age & having kids.

I've watched this show on the SciFi channel called Jeremiah. It stars Luke Perry, Malcolm Jamaal-Warner & Sean Astin. I've only seen two episodes and I'm not sure if its an ongoing show or if it was a miniseries but it's based on a comic book where a strange virus took out all of the adults and left only the kids. Now the kids have grown up and are trying to put the world back together but there's a lot of fighting going on. It's pretty interesting.

Now, here's my very biased picks for the mlb playoffs.

Rays over Twins (5 games) - I think this will be the best series of the playoffs. I really like both teams because they both have a great collection of young players & veterans. I just think the Rays have just a little bit more than the Twins and will prevail in game 5 with a walk off 2 runs homer by either Carlos Pena or Evan Longoria. But, this might change because I like what the Twins are doing now and have a huge Tiki Barber theory going on here.

Angels over Red Sox (3 games) - This series won't be close, sorry Rob. The Angels just have too much starting pitching for the Red Sox to handle. And the Red Sox are very low on good starting pitching. With Beckett hurt and not really himself this year & Shilling out for the season I just don't think the Red Sox have it this year. I also think a HUGE factor is the fact that Manny isn't around. I like Jason Bay, but the problem is is that he's played in Pittsburgh his whole career and hasn't had to deal with the pressure of the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll do bad, I'm just not sure if he'll do good. There's no telling what will happen, but the one thing we do know is that Manny is Manny, especially in the playoffs. That's just one loss the Red Sox won't be able to overcome. Also, I could see the White Sox playing the Angels instead.

Cubs over Diamondbacks (3 games) - Once again a squash series. The Cubs are loaded from top to bottom. Hitting & Pitching. Starting pitching, bullpen, hitters off the bench. I think the most key person on this team that could help the Cubs get far will be Jeff Samardzija(hey, I said it wasn't going to be unbiased). The one thing I remember about the Mets playoff run in 2006 was Darren Oliver coming out of the bullpen and pitching amazingly. I can see #83 doing the same thing for the Cubs. He's pitched really really well since he's been called up and he's the perfect weapon for them. Especially when Rich Harden goes down with an injury, you have someone who can step into his spot and pitch as well.

Mets over Brewers (4 games) - Remember, very biased picks. Yes, the Brewers went out and got CC. And CC's been amazing for them. They also have Ben Sheetz. But here's the problem, Sheetz is hurt. We also don't know how the rest of their starting staff will react in the playoffs. Also, I can remember CC in the playoffs last year. He was great last year during the regular season but he struggled big time in the playoffs. And the problem is, the Brewers can only pitch him twice in the series. They will have to depend on their other pitchers and it won't be enough. Plus, this team is young. Really young to almost a fault. I think this will do them in.

Rays over Angels (6 games) - This will be a great series. I like the Rays in this series because I think they've proved themselves this season. There's just something about this team and I like it. It'll be a close series, I don't think any game will be decided by more than 2 or 3 runs.

Mets over the Cubs (6 games) - I think this time the Mets pull it off. They have the scars from the last two seasons on them and they can remember how they feel. I think this year we can pull it together and do some good. Plus, I think the one bad thing for the Cubs is, well, they're the Cubs. You just know that something, some mistake, some fluke, something terrible is going to happen to them and the Mets will prevail and go on. Plus, even though the bullpen isn't great, or even good, the starting pitching is, and they can move some of the starters to the bullpen. We could easily go with a rotation of Santana, Pedro, Pelfrey and put Maine in the bullpen. It could be interesting.

Mets over the Rays (7 games) - Another great World Series. This one will go back and forth, but I think the one thing the Mets have in their favor is the fact that they've been to the playoffs before, they know what they're playing for, they know the pressure and how to deal with it. Plus, I really like the players they've brought up. So there, you go. I think the Mets can win it all and what I think is completely biased and probably wrong, but i like what the Mets have and what they can do.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Roger these picks are outrageous. In the Brewers vs. Mets series, for example, you don't mention a single positive aspect of the Mets - you only hate on the Brewers. Of course you did man up and say they were biased.

Now, my most serious complaint is of you writing off the Red Sox.

The huge starting pitching edge you claim the Angels have is non-existent. Angels starters have a 3.99 ERA this year and Red Sox starters have a 4.04 ERA.

Boston has scored 715 runs this season (2nd best in the AL) and the Angels have only scored 628 (6th lowest in the AL).

You really need to research this stuff, Boston is just terrific. And then tonight, without Manny and with Youkilis, Lowell, and Drew injured, we've scored 10 runs so far. Pedroia at 5'7" is batting cleanup and just hit a 3-run homer. This team really has it, Roger.

KOHO said...

Wow Roger, another baseball blog. Is this the first time you posted on baseball? Oh no, your last post also was about baseball. How about some new and thrilling topics? That might really get your readership up. I am just trying to help.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Rob, I covered the brewers hitters with this Plus, this team is young. Really young to almost a fault. I think this will do them in. That's what I think and it's biased. I think the Mets have the advantage because they've been in the playoff hunt the past couple seasons and it helps. Plus, I could see the Mets end up playing the Diamondbacks and the Phillies playing the Cubs. Plus, the Mets have taken the first two games at the brewers. And Rob, you played the Orioles. Don't toot your horn too loud.

Koho, wait for the next post. I promoise it won't mostly be about baseball. Maybe a little, but most of it won't be.

Unknown said...

I clearly won the Fantasy Football draft last night and it really wasn't close. I think Koho has the 2nd best team. I heart Romo.

By the way, the Mets won't win the World Series with that bullpen, it's as simple as that.

You see Tatum Bell stole Rudi Johnson's bags?

The VP definitely isn't bad for an older lady.

Unknown said...

The Mets swept the Brewers in Milwaukee, so there aren't too many teams that I'm now worried about in the playoffs. Really only the Cubs or Philly if they make it. Granted we didn't face CC, but he can only start 2 games in a series, and Santana would give him a good duel. I like our matchup against all other Breweres pitchers though.

Now lets just beat the Phillies this weekend.

Unknown said...

Jim Malone and I would like to announce a baseball bet we have made:

Jim Wins:
$2 if Boston does not make playoffs
$10 if Boston loses the ALDS

Rob Wins:
$10 if Boston makes it to the ALCS
$12 if Boston makes it to the WS
$15 if Boston wins the WS
(These totals are not cumulative, i.e. the most I can win is $15)

Unknown said...

Sorry, Jim actually wins $5 if Boston doesn't make the playoffs.

Also I will be announcing some Bold Fantasy Football predictions soon.

KOHO said...

Roger, I just like giving you a hard time. Lets wait to see how I destroy you in fantasy football with my extreme knowledge of the sport.

Unknown said...

Thu, Sep 4 The Cincinnati Bengals said Thursday that they will refer to the receiver formerly known as Chad Johnson by his new legal name, Chad Ocho Cinco, in all club business. That includes the back of his jersey for Sunday's season opener at Baltimore.


How ridiculous is that???? I think it's pretty damn funny though, but he will eventually regret it. I'm glad I have him in your family's league though Roger. I was so happy when I saw Yahoo changed his name.

Unknown said...

What no football preview? I think the Giants are probably the most underrated Super Bowl Champ ever. Everyone is crowning the Cowboys already for the division.

I used to like Chad Johnson, but now he's just becoming more and more ridiculous.

Unknown said...

Roger, Roger, Roger - only 1 post so far in September. You're on pace for a record low month.

Don't forget you're coming to Connecticut next week, so you might not get to post then either. Are you going to do a live blog from Malone's party?