Sunday, September 28, 2008

R.I.P. Shea Stadium

So, here's the weekend recap, uggghhhh. So, Friday sucked. The Mets lost, the brewers won, the Phillies won and clinched a playoff spot. Then came Saturday. I was at work so I didn't get to see the Mets game but when I got back home I got a call from Malone letting me know that Santana is the best pitcher in baseball. Well, it's either him or C.C. Mike, you sure you still don't want him on the Spankees? Yeah, I'm gonna go with I'd like him on my team. Anywho, Santana was awesome, complete game shutout and somehow the Mets offense was able to score 2 runs and we won the game. I was able to watch the end of the Cubs - Brewers game and watched the Cubs pull it out. Even though they didn't play any of their starters. Sadly once again I had hope. Hope that maybe Oliver Perez could come through with another big game, come through in the clutch like he has in the past, like he was playing the Yankees. I'm not asking for too much, am I? I wasn't. Perez had a good game. Only two runs given up, that should have been enough to win the game. I was only able to watch the 7th inning and on. And of course, that's when the Marlins took over and quickly closed their hands around the Mets throat or was that the Mets putting their own hands around their throat? Who knows. Nothing better than our achillies heel, our bullpen and watching them give up back to back home runs for the Mets to lose. Joy.

Here's my question. You're Omar, you've just signed a four year extension and you've watched your team blow a lead in the last games of the division, both times being eliminated by the Marlins. What do you do this offseason? We've cleared up some cap room(well, like there really is a salary cap) with Pedro gone, Alou gone, El Duke gone. We'll probably re-sign Delgado & Oliver Perez. We have no idea what's going to happen with John Maine since he's going to have surgery this offseason. The bullpen is crap. Wagner will never be a Met again so there's no closer. The offense is set. We don't need to go after anyone. I don't want Dunn on this team. There's no need to go after Teixera in the offseason. We just need to focus on pitching. Now, I can't yell this loud enough to Omar, Do Not Go After Ben Sheets! If you thought Pedro was always injured, just wait to see what happens if you sign Sheets! It'll make Pedro look like Cal Ripken, Jr. I'd say take a shot at C.C. Offer him Santana type money(I'm pretty sure that would cover Pedro, Alou, & El Duke's salaries). He's said that he would like to stay in the NL. He likes to hit. He's also pitched amazingly so far in the NL. I'd love to have a 1-2-3-4-5 of Santana, CC, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey. That's a rotation the Mets can have for at least 4-5 years and would be the best in baseball. Will it happen? Probably not, but I can always dream. Secondly, we need a closer. And more help in the bullpen. Call the Padres up. See if we can get Heath Bell back. Go ahead and sign either K-Rod or Fuentes to close. Trade Heilman to some team who's looking for a starter(he'd like to start and might be better at that) for some more bullpen help and also make sure they're not 35 and about to break down. Please. Then trade the rest of the bullpen for a bunch of baseball and a welcome mat for citifield. Then we can call up guys from the minors to replace them. So, we'll see what happens.

On a good note I was really really impressed with Notre Dame on Saturday. By far their most complete game of the season. I'm not sure if it means much because we beat Purdue, but it was nice to see Jimmy Clausen have by far his best game at ND. We could also by far have the best young receiver core in college football. Golden Tate is amazing and so is Michael Floyd. I like Duval Kamara even though they don't throw to him much. He's just a big dude and he's hard to cover. Kyle Rudolph will be a great TE for the Irish. And the best part about this? They're all Freshman and Sophmores. Can't go wrong with that. I knew Golden Tate was going to be great, but I'm really surprised the most with Michael Floyd. Lets just hope they keep it up.

Lastly, has anyone watched the new Knight Rider tv show? I watched the tv movie and it was pretty decent but I missed the first episode and I don't know if I want to get into another tv show. Time will tell.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely sold on CC. The guy's got the heart, the talent, and it seems like he just doesn't tire.

Unknown said...

Has anyone heard from Malone since this all went down with the Mets? Lucky for him he only lives in a two story house.

Unknown said...

Eh, it could be worse. I could be a Yankee fan and have given up long ago. This is one year you can't rub it in Perrotti and I love it.

The Mets shouldn't even have been in the playoff race. They were under .500 when Manuel took over and their bullpen was non-existent after Wagner got hurt. They were lucky to even have a chance at the playoffs. Reyes and Wright shit the bed when it came down to the wire and I'm just hoping that it's part of their maturing process. Otherwise the Mets are in for a lot of heartbreak for the next 4-5 years. I can't think of another instance where a player had such a disappointing year, yet put up as good of numbers as Wright did. I don't think even A-Rod was that disappointing. The Mets are just an enigma.

I agree with what you said today Roger. We should focus solely on pitching at this point. I don't really want Delgado back, but he'd do. Of course if no one can hit in the clutch then all the pitching in the world won't save us. I would love to get CC though too. I just don't see that happening.


My new playoff predictions:

NLDS:
Cubs over Dodgers (4 games)
Phillies over Brewers (5 games)

ALDS:
Angels over Red Sox (4 games)
Rays over Twins (3 games)

NLCS:
Cubs over Phillies (6 games)
Rays over Angels (7 games)

World Series:
Rays over Cubs (6 games)

Unknown said...

Malone is fine, he's doing very well in fact, I saw him today at work and spoke to him last night. He is in good spirits.

I hope everyone will still pay attention to the MLB playoffs even though your teams aren't playing anymore. I of course am pulling for the Red Sox but it should be a fascinating post-season. Here's what I'm looking forward to:

The Rays trying to find someone to throw out their first pitch.

Francisco Rodriguez blowing a save against the Red Sox.

The Cubs trying to win their first World Series in 100 years.

Whether CC Sabathia has anything left in the tank (I think he does).

I think one reason this post-season is so interesting is because the Yankees aren't in it. First, the Yankees not being in the playoffs is a story in itself because of their payroll size and their absurd ownership. But second, the Yankees not being in the playoffs allows the Devil Rays (or the Red Sox, depending on how you look at it, but the Rays are more interesting to talk about) into the playoffs.

I really feel like the Rays are going to crumble in the Playoffs. Also, remember the Red Sox offense beat Cliff Lee a couple weeks ago - and they can beat any pitcher (Sabathia included).

My new playoff predictions (kind of similar to my original predictions):

Cubs over Dodgers (5 Games)
Brewers over Phillies (4 Games)
Twins over Rays (4 Games)
Red Sox over Angels (5 Games)

Brewers over Cubs (7 Games)
Red Sox over Twins (5 Games)

Red Sox over Brewers (6 Games)

Roger Kuhrt said...

I spoke to Malone right after the last out. After that I cried myself to sleep as I took a nap. Ok, I'm kidding about that one. I think later on this week I'll do a tribute to Shea and talk about the best games that I've been too. Most of them happened in the past 3 years. Rob, I disagree with your predictions of the Red Sox winning it all. I think the Angels will beat the Sox in 5 games. I'll post my playoff picks after the playoff schedule is set. Also I wouldn't mind Delgado for 1 to 2 more years so we'll see what happens. I think Arod in '06 was significantly less clutch than DWright in '08. Plus, I think he had better numbers. Does anyone know what happened to Josh Hamilton in the second half of the season? Is it still the curse of the home run derby? I think so.

Unknown said...

Yeah the second half definitely dropped for Hamilton, but it wasn't really that bad. He had 21 pre-all star HR's and 11 after it. If you look at his AB's he was hitting a HR every 18 AB's pre, and every 22 AB's post, which isn't too bad of a drop. His K's did jump a good amount though so that may be where he was trying to do too much. I'm still keeping him for next season and you can't stop me.

Anyone want Liriano, Billingsley, Dempster, or Joba for draft picks?

Anonymous said...

Rog, does saying that Wright was more clutch in 08 than A-Rod was in 06 make you feel better? I'm just curious, because I can't think of any other reason why it matters, if in fact it is true.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Mike, of course it makes me feel better. Now I can sleep easier at night. But anywho, Malone I was referring more to his rbi's. Didn't hamilton have something like 90+ rbi's going into the allstar break and he ended up with only like 129? I could be wrong so I'll check my stats.

Anonymous said...

I think Hamilton just sort of came back to earth a bit. I don't think he underachieved in the second half as much as he overachieved in the first half. He still had one heck of a season.

While I typically pull for an American League team, I will be pulling for Joe Torre and the LA Dodgers for obvious reasons. I would love to see a Dodgers/Red sox series. As much as Manny is a disgrace for doing what he did, I'd find it quite enjoyable to watch him bat .400 and win the series MVP against the hated Red Sox. Manny may be an idiot, but he is way more mentally tough than guys like Wright and A-Rod, and will always strike more fear into the heart of an opposing pitcher than those 2 will in a big spot. Unless he's unhappy, in which case he'll strike out to spite his team... I think of the last time he faced Mariano Rivera, when he watched 3 straight fastballs go by for strikes without taking the bat off of his shoulder. Hilarious.

Unknown said...

I love how Malone is always so concerned with the Yankees. Isn't the Mets rival the Phillies? Also, the Yankees and the Mets had the same record at the end of the season, but the NL is worse so the Mets were still in it. Anyway, the Yankees and Mets lost, now lets try and enjoy the playoffs. As a baseball fan I'm still interested in the games. I hope any team besides the Red Sox win.

The Yankees resigned Cashman to a 3 year deal. I think this is a good move as long as Hank doesn't undermine him all the time.

How much does everyone think CC is going to get? I think more than Johan. Burnett and Sheets will get a ton of money too.

Also, Roger took down the giant (Kohanski) in fantasy football this week. What a win, will this be the beginning of the end for Kohanski? Will this win propel Roger to the top? Malone and Rob should veto that trade as well according to their logic. They won't of course.

KOHO said...

Still time Malone...still time

Unknown said...

Koho I don't think you should be in the wedding anymore.

How am I concerned about the Yankees Perrotti? I just don't like the Yankee FANS talking crap about the Mets when they did worse this season. Both teams need some major changes for next year. Look at today's Hartford Courant and you'll see a good list of things that both teams need to focus on.

CC is gonna get about the same as Johan. I'd be shocked if it is a lot more than him. The big question is WHO is going to get him. Of course he'll suck next year anyways.

Unknown said...

Not enough people are recognizing what the Red Sox have done recently - playoffs 5 of the past 6 seasons, won 2 of the last 4 world series, overcame injuries to almost every player en route to the playoffs this year.

Theo Epstein is really an amazing GM, the way the Sox have built and benefited from their own farm system is really impressive. Also the way he got rid of Damon, Nomar, and Pedro (and their salaries) when they were done and the ballsy Manny trade that has worked out fine.

Also since I'm a Red Sox fan none of you will take this seriously, so just pretend someone else posted it

KOHO said...

OK Malone, I guess I am out. Now try to explain how the wedding party is even more lopsided to Michelle's side. You owe me my deposit on the tux since you are kicking me out, don't worry, no hard feelings.

Now to baseball...


Here are my thoughts...

Theo Epstein is really an amazing GM, the way the Sox have built and benefited from their own farm system is really impressive. Also the way he got rid of Damon, Nomar, and Pedro (and their salaries) when they were done and the ballsy Manny trade that has worked out fine.

Also since I'm a Red Sox fan none of you will take this seriously, so just pretend Koho posted it