Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'm Back

Okay so I'm back now. So I'm going to try and make this a long one because there's a bunch of stuff to talk about now, and I'm sorry Koho, but I will be talking about baseball. Ha ha. Here we go. I'll leave the recap of Friday and Saturday alone since I got such a negative reaction. Perrotti, the guys name is Dave Dravecky(spell?). I read his book when I was younger. Here's what it says about him in wikipedia "The following season, a cancerous desmoid tumor was found in Dravecky's pitching arm. He underwent surgery on October 7, 1988, removing half of the deltoid muscle in his pitching arm and freezing the humerus bone in an effort to eliminate all of the cancerous cells. By July 1989, he was pitching in the minors, and on August 10, he made a highly publicized return to the major leagues, pitching 8 innings and defeating Cincinnati 4-3. In his following start five days later against the Expos, Dravecky pitched three no-hit innings, but in the fifth inning, he felt a tingling sensation in his arm. In the sixth inning he started off shaky, allowing a home run to the lead off batter and then hitting the second batter. Then, on his first pitch to Tim Raines, his humerus bone snapped, ending his career.
To see a pitcher break his arm with a loud cracking sound while doing something as ordinary as throwing a pitch, then fall to the ground rolling in agonizing pain, was shocking, unusual, and upsetting, especially for those who had followed his touching story. The pitch was replayed on television repeatedly over the following days.
The Giants won the National League pennant in 1989 (defeating the Chicago Cubs in the NLCS in five games), and in the post-game celebration, Dravecky's arm was broken a second time by Kevin Mitchell and Kelly Downs. A doctor examining Dravecky's x-rays noticed a mass in his arm. Cancer had returned. Eighteen days later, Dravecky retired from baseball, leaving a 64-57 record with 558 strikeouts and a 3.13 ERA in 1,062.2 innings. He won the 1989 Willie Mac Award honoring his spirit and leadership."

Next onto some positive things. I was really impressed with the Notre Dame win this past Saturday. I watched it when I got back from Malone's house(which I might add on the side is an awesome place. I was really impressed by it, it's huge, has a basement, which needs to be finished ASAP, and has a nice back yard. Good buy there Malone) I watched the game in about 30 minutes before falling asleep. I already knew that they won because I was texting during the Mets shame of a game on Saturday but it was different to see the way they won. 6 turnovers and some of them at crucial times. I like this defense. It reminds me of the '05 defense but better and faster. It's always great to beat Michigan, even when they're rebuilding. Everybody better watch out for Jimmy Clausen, Golden Tate, and my favorite freshman Michael Floyd. This offsense will be a lot better than last year and I think the defense will be too.

Now onto the Giants. Too be honest, I'm really surprised at how good they are this year. I knew Eli was going to be confident(how can you blame him after last season?) but I thought maybe the defense would be not as good. Yup, I'm wrong. The defense is still insane and the offsense has been rolling, even if we beat up on St. Louis which Jim Rome is betting could be the first 0-16 season. Also, I need to order a Justin Tuck jersey. I was happy when the Giants drafted him(he's Notre Dame's all time sacks leader) but I wasn't sure how good he'd be in the pros. Yeah, don't have to worry about that anymore, ha ha. What's great is the fact that in Columbus I can happily say that Notre Dame's best pro player is better than any of Ohio State's pro players and there really isn't an argument. Actually I'm trying to think of the best OSU player and I can't really come up of one. Maybe Chris Gamble? Anthony Gonzalez? Eh, whatever.

So, now onto the bad. Nothing better than you're last Mets game at Shea being a classic Mets let down. Just great. You could just tell the bullpen was going to blow it. You know, Santana should be 20-7 right now and should have the Cy Young locked up. But no, the bullpen's blown 7 wins(could be 8 I can't remember) and he's really just an afterthought. Lets hope something good happens tonight when he pitches. I'm not toooooo concerned with the Mets losing the NL East lead. First off it's only 1/2 game and we're tied in the loss column. That's the most important thing. Secondly there's also the Brewers who have fallen harder than the Mets. Even if the Mets don't win the NL East I think they'll take the Wild Card. Either way when they make the Post Season I'm going to like either match up. I really hope the Dodgers don't blow it and make it. If the Mets win the NL East it'll be a great series between the two teams. Manny back in NY for the NLDS? How great would that be? Or, will the Cubs throw away another great season? Should be great. I also think in the offseason the Mets will go after either Brian Fuentes or K-Rod. It would make sense since we need sooooooooo much help. We'll see.

Rob, I promise tomorrow I will post the story about my tats. And it won't be the short version, it'll be the really really long version.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a crazy story about that baseball pitcher? Is it on youtube? I will search for it later once I'm done playing ROCK BAND TWO BECAUSE WE GOT OUR XBOX BACK TODAY.

Also, don't worry Roger, Kohanski will begin working on finishing Malone's basement soon I'm sure.

I can't wait for your "really, really long" tattoo story.

KOHO said...

This blog is lame.

Unknown said...

The Mets don't need a closer. We have Kunz. Closers are overrated.

I can't wait until the Phillies "collapse" and the Mets win the NL East. Schneider is awesome.

Unknown said...

Also, Roger what do you think about Perrotti's un-classy move to pick up David Price off waivers after you were talking about him all weekend and how you were going to pick him up. Not once did I hear Perrotti say a word about him. Very sneaky. Very class-less.

Unknown said...

Perotti is classless

Unknown said...

Why would I tell you I want to pick someone up? That makes little to no sense. Also, Roger had the number one waiver spot. Your argument is flawed.