Thursday, December 11, 2008

A farewell to Endy!

Hey, I wrote before that I would write that post and then follow it up the next day. Stop complaining. I write about stuff that's important to me. But anywho, enough complaining, time for some baseball talk.

I must say that I'm surprised with how quickly the big free agents have signed. First K-Rod goes to the Mets and then the day after CC goes to the Yankees. Yes, Rob you called it but there were still a lot of teams that were interested. In fact, the day that the deal was reported one of my customers said that the LA papers listed a story that he was talking to them about signing. Also the Brewers made an offer and I'm sure the Angels made one too and the Red Sox were thinking about it. I'm wondering if the Mets thought about offering a similar deal but that contract is a scary one. 7 years/$161 million is a really big contract, especially for a pitcher. Personally I thought CC would get Santana type money but the Yankees blew that out of the water. I think if the Yankees had offered what Santana got that CC might not have signed with them. Of course there is the opt out afte 3 years. Does anyone know if that's just a player opt out or if the Yankees can opt out too? If the Yankees can I would say then that it's a good contract for the Yankees. If not I hope CC blows his elbow out midway through the next season and pulls an Albert Bell and doesn't retire and just sits around collecting his money, ha ha.

I'm loving what the Mets have done so far this offseason. I think Omar has done a great job. I love the trade for JJ and the fact that we got rid of two pitchers who weren't cutting it last season. For some reason Heilman just couldn't put it together the past two seasons. He was awesome in '06 but I wonder if he's going through Brad Lidge syndrome where Lidge was a shell of what he used to be after the Pujols homer? He really hasn't been the same since giving up the homer to lose the '06 season. Maybe he'll do better, maybe he'll just continue to fall apart. Only time will tell. I think Heilman will either become great again or he'll be out of the league in two years. I think it's that tramatic. Joe Smith was good when he first came up but people learned how to hit him and he basically lost his effectiveness.

The player I'll miss the most is Endy. Honestly I'll never forget Endy after the '06 season. He was just soooooo clutch that year, coming up with huge base hits at the end of games and with his fielding. His catch in game 7 is the greatest catch ever in Mets history. Ever. I can still remember where I was when it happened(TGI Fridays in Manchester, a bunch of us from TicketNetwork were there and I had just come from having dinner with the Account Management Team at that Fish restaurant) and how I just wanted to jump up and down and all around after that catch. The next season started off well but once he got injured he was really never the same. You could tell that this past season and his struggles continued. He will be missed.

But, I love our bullpen now, he he. With K-Rod closing things out and Putz setting him up, we finally have a steady end of the rotation. And, on the odd night that K-Rod can't go we have Putz to close. I think he'll pick up at least 5 saves next year. Plus, we still have Feliciano in the pen and hopefully Duaner can get back to the way he was in '06 before the shoulder injury. But now the Mets need to focus on getting, I think, two more starters. Our 1-2-3 are set with Santana, Maine & Pelfrey but there's no 4-5. I think Knight & Niese are a year or two away from the big leagues so we need to start looking and seeing what's out there. I think we'll go after D-Lowe and add him. Not too bad of a 4 or 5 starter and hopefully the Mets can re-sign Perez. That would be a pretty sweet rotation going Santana, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey, Lowe. AJ Burnett is out there but I don't think the Mets will make a play for him. He's too much of a contract year pitcher for me to want the Mets to sign him, unless it was for a 1 year deal. But we all know he won't take that. Well, only time will tell what'll happen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Paragraph 3, you said "tramatic" Roger.... I don't know if you meant dramatic or traumatic... please choose one. The Mets bullpen is improved now, who are their other relievers besdies Putz and KRod?

You should try to get some home grown relief talent, Boston only paid Papelbon $755k last season while you will now be shelling out an obscene amount of money for a guy who only throws 70 innings a year.

Roger Kuhrt said...

Rob, just because I write doesn't mean that I can spell or that I use spell check, ha ha. The offseason is still going on so we'll see who else gets added to the pen. Also the sox will eventually have to pay papelbon what the Mets are paying k-rod. In fact, I think they'll pay him more. He's probably the best closer out there so he'll get the money.