Sunday, April 13, 2008

Music

So, tomorrow is my first day on the phones at Dish Network. I'm surprised that I haven't started freaking out more about it, but oh well. I guess I'm more concerned with the Mets losing 2 of 3 to the Brewers. It's only in the 7th, but we're down two and it stinks. But, what I was thinking about as I was driving over to Maureen's place was music. More specifically, music in sports or sports entertainment. One of my favorite things about wrestling, and there aren't too many favorite things about wrestling, is the entrance music that each wrestler has. Not that a lot of the music is any good, but every once in a while you'll get really good entrance music. I watched Wrestlemania with some friends out here. We always go to some place to watch the ppv's, either it's hooters or for the past couple we've gone to this place called Buffalo Wild Wings. I never heard of it til I came out here, but they're pretty nice place to go to. Well, during Wrestlemania they did one of my favorite entrances. It's when the Undertaker comes out and does his druid like music. It's hard to explain unless you know what I'm talking about. But there's just something about that entrance music that I like. Personally, I think it's the best part about the Undertaker. I think he should have retired about 5 years ago, but whatever. Other wrestlers that I've enjoyed their entrance music has been Stone Cold, D-Generation X(when they did the Rage type entrance music), The New Age Outlaws(yes, they were part of DX but had their own theme), Chris Jericho, Piper(I always loved when he would have bag pipes playing when he would enter the ring) and probably Shane McMahon and the Rock.

Well, I also like when baseball players come out to cool music. You don't really get it too much when someone comes to the plate. It's usually pretty quick and then they're in the batters box. But I love it when closers come out to cool music. Like how Wagner and Rivera both come out to Enter Sandman. I forget what Hoffman comes out to, I think it's Hell's Bell(s). I've talked about this with my friends from my softball team and we've always joked about bringing a boombox to one of our games and playing music for when we would go to bat or if someone was coming in as a relief pitcher. It would be really fun, but really nerdy. Not like it would really matter with me. I'm as big of a nerd as you can get. I already know what songs I would like to come out to if I was a closer. I'd choose between these two songs. The first one is After the Eulogy by Boy Sets Fire. It starts out really quietly with people saying, "For Justice, For Peace" and then after like 30 seconds with the people starting to get louder they just start playing and they singer's yelling "RISE!" over and over again. Now, I'd have to get them to edit out the For Justice, For Peace but I think it would be cool to come out in a save opportunity and have the team put up RISE on the jumbotron and have everyone stand up and start cheering. Of course if I was a Marlin it wouldn't be too hard to have that 'cause there'd only be 4 or 5 people at the game. The second song that I would come out to if I was a closer is Awe and Disbelief by a friend's band from college, Crutch. In fact, the only person who would know what band I'm referring too is Mike, ha ha. I just LOVE the guitars in the beginning of the song and I'd just have the pa people loop the first 20 seconds over while I'm warming up, he he. Now, if I was a hitter there is one song that I would save for when I was up in the late innings of a close game and I needed to come through for the team. I'd have them play the Dropkick Murphy's cover of Amazing Grace. I love the bagpipe player in the beginning and I thought they did a really good job of playing the song. In fact, I thought about this while I was at the gym and I actually got goosebumps thinking about if I came up to bat during the world series with my team down 1 and the bases loaded with two outs and having the pa play this song. Ha ha. Sad, but true.

7 comments:

Roger Kuhrt said...

I forgot to add that a third choice for song to come out to if I was a closer would be The Beltsville Crucible by Thrice.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Crutch... Those were the days.

Unknown said...

Roger you should come out to "Lady Humps" by the Blackeyed Peas. It's provocative.

Unknown said...

To me, it doesn't get any better than when Michael Bolton sings "When a Man Loves a Woman". That would be my entrance music.

Unknown said...

"I want to f*** you like an animal" by Nine Inch Nails.... this song will really get you in the batter's head

Roger Kuhrt said...

Personally I thought Jim or Jim would have "come out" to "It's raining men". but that's just me.

Unknown said...

Roger tell us about your new job... also any thoughts on how your fantasy baseball team is doing so far?